All: Great Male-Female Friendships on Soaps

• Members

I find it to be very rare when soaps happen to display any strong friendships (that are non-romantic) in nature between a man and a woman. I decided to start this thread because I was wondering if any of you can think of examples of this happening.

The only examples I can think of are the following:

*SFT's Jo and Stu: This remains the gold standard for male-female friendships on daytime, given the fact that these two characters were the heart and soul of their soap. Recently, I read that the writers wanted to have these two characters marry each other in the series finale, but instead the decision (at the last minute) was made to have two other SFT characters marry in the final episode.

*AW's Felicia and Cass: These two mainted a very close friendship for the last fifteen years that AW was on the air. However, when these two characters were first introduced in the early-80's, they actually had a very brief romantic relationship.

*ATWT's Katie and Henry: This friendship isn't nearly as epic as the two others listed above. However, I chose to list it because it was the only male-female friendship in recent times that I could think of. If memory serves me correctly, didn't the two of them marry each other? Since I have not watched ATWT in a while, I wonder what the status of this relationship is today.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great thread :)

Yes Katie & Henry did get married, but for her she was using Henry to get over Mike who had married Jennifer. Today they're still friends, but their friendship IMO isn't the same. Henry is mostly trotted out as a prop for Katie these days....

Some great male-female friendships:

AMC:

Zach & Myrtle

Leo & Bianca

Kendall & Palmer

GH:

Jason & Carly

• Members

Great thread Max!

GH:

Alexis & Jax: These two have been there for each other for years. They even got married (but never consummated the marriage). Jax calls Alexis his favorite ex-wife.

Emily & Lucky: These two were best friends since they were children. I always felt they should have ended up together, but alas that wasn't the plan. Lucky did eventually grow to have feelings for Emily romantically, but there were one sided. Their friendship still remained after that.

Mike and Georgie: Mike was so nice to Georgie and she went to him for advice.

Sonny & Robin: Sonny & Robin have a special bond that no one else will be able to match...they both loved and lost Stone.

Jason & Liz: Originally their friendship was one that rivaled Jax & Alexis. Now they're together....:wub:

That's all I can think of right now.

• Members

Sami & Abe on Days. For a long time they had a good relationship. up til that lexi vs sami [!@#$%^&*].

Lauren & Paul on Y&R. yes they have been a couple, a few times, and married. But they have always above all else been best friends. JT & Kay also have a pretty solid good friendship.

As RC said, Liz & Jason on GH was an amazing friendship before they got together. Still is.

Sonny & Robin had the best friendship i have ever seen on a soap. I love it when GH randomly decides to throw them in a scene for a quick minute.

Maxie & Nik on GH also had a good friendship going after jesse died, but they droped that and with maxie/lucky affair.

Sally & Clark on B&B.

Archived