Days: What does everyone have against the Teens?

• Members

I agree that the teens need to be in no more then a C story, although I will say that Rachel Melvin and Shelly Hennig can handle a story with weight IMO.

Not to move too far off topic but I have to strongly disagree that Ali Sweeney is not a lead actress. I know people are sick of her and she does need a break but we are talking about a 14-15 year vet who has carried Days the past ten years. Everytime the show needed a ratings boost (not in the past two years but every other time before that) an event related to her brought the show back. She is perfectly capable of carrying the show and a major story. The issue is that the vets need to be surrounding her and on just as much. You can't have Sami, EJ, Lucas, and the teens rounding out the top 5 in episode counts every month. If the vets are getting great material and aren't propping Sami, it will work even if it's her story.

My point is that Days is going to have to pass the torch at some point. Yes, it shouldn't be now and they did it all wrong this past year but it has to happen. We can't have Bo, Hope, and Marlena walking around with walkers after bad guys and so on. It just seems like people want the same people over and over again carrying the stories forever. The show can't go on that way either. Not when these vets have been through so much already and it's almost at the point where nearly any story is redundant or repetitive. The show trained the audience to want things to revolve around Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, etc so they are majorly responsible but there is going to have to come a time where fans will have to accept this generation. Sure, Days has to build it up and make the transition a much smoother one then this past year but it has to happen. It happened in the early 80's when Bo, Hope, Steve, Kayla, etc became household names and it will need to happen again and I am thinking sooner rather then later.

It just can't happen like this again. The show can't force these characters on fans. I don't include Sami here because while her airtime has been excessive (much like characters on other shows), she is also a vet who fans have come to expect to be frontburner, if not this much. The show needs to balance things out and tie young characters to the adults. We need to learn to like them through their families. Sami can drive story but she has to slowly became the show's new heart and soul. By that I mean without propping or having her on as much as she is. I am still hopeful the show can backtrack and balance things and then begin the process of passing the torch but that will have to happen when the show's in a more stable position. Who knows if that will ever be the case though.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She did have some fantastic scenes during the death row storyline (when did it become a movie?), and one comes to mind. Sami's goodbye with her mother. And you know why that was a beautiful scene? Because it was subtle. No screaming matches, no evilness, just a mother having to say goodbye to her daughter, and a daughter trying to fanthom that after losing her mom, getting her back and being apart for so long emotionally, now she has to physically leave her. That's what was good about it. It was about the connection between those two actors. That's why I prefer actors like Deidre Hall, Nancy Lee Grahn and, another from DAYS that I love who knows this, Melissa Reeves. They know that you don't have to scream to be seen in a scene. If you have that screen prescence that so few actors have, then people will notice you. AS isen't there, at least not yet. Maybe she'll get there, who knows.

You love to mention Angelina Jolie. Watch Angelina in Girl, Interrupted. Yes, she has some screaming scenes, but you know which ones are her best? The ones where she's calm and still getting her point across. Those are the moments that further story to me. The quiet ones.

And can I just give you a little advice... if you expect people to take your opinions seriously, then you have to take theirs seriously as well. Discussion is a two way street. You can't demand someone feel the way as you.

• Members

Again, you are failing to grasp the concept of people's opinions. In one breath you say you're trying to understand opinions, then in the next you disregard their opinion by stating yours as fact.

Shelley Hennig isn't a bad actress. She isn't a good one either. No one can be as bad as Charity Rahmer..... That's my opinion.

You're opinion is she is a good actress, maybe even great. That's your opinion, I can't say you're wrong for having your opinion, and you can't say I'm wrong for having mine.

• Members

I don't like them because they take up too much space and too much story where people like Victor, Tony, Anna (who doesn't even have a contract!) Lexie, Abe and Maggie should be featured. That's who i want to see. Not the Stephanies, Jetts, Jeremys, Chelseas and a bunch of other teens who I will never bother to learn their names until they are on my creen for at least two years, maybe three

• Members

I think it's good that DAYS is trying to build up a younger generation and stick with them, but why shove them down the viewers throats when they're not done with establishing the last young crowd? (Shawn, Belle, Philip...they need more of a story that isn't justa permanent love triangle that is trying to recapture the Sami/Austin/Carrie type of story). And if they're so insistant on making a teen scene, as Pest Spray said, make them realistic. Take a look at The OC, Gossip Girl, Hollyoaks, give them some stories of substance and if they will insist on making them just frivolous teens then at least do it in an entertaining way.

Give Stephanie a personality! She's the daughter of Patch and Kayla, let's see her with them...let's see her with her grandmother, Caroline...they wasted a real opportunity with this one; she could have come on resenting her father for leaving her so many years ago, whether he could help it or not, and show them struggling to bond. Make Nick and Chelsea the Seth and Summer of the series, slowly pimping them into a supercouple, I dunno...they need to just whip these teens out of the bland state of stories they are currently stuck in. And get them out of their own little bubble, stop islanding them as a group and have them all interact with others on the show.

Say what you like about Y&R, but they've had scenes with Amber interacting with Kay, or B&B is really good at having different generations mixing in stories. Days needs to stop doing stories by age ranges (the young crowd, the 20s crowd, the 30s crowd, the 40+ crowd).

Archived