DAYS: Possible Actor exit

• Members

During the JER years, a real life issue wouldn't have been given any respect. Now, I think Hogan could handle it. Anyway, I do see the difference between how Marlena reacted when Roman died, and how she could react now if John died. Still, I would love for her to do the revenge thing, and then turn to pills or booze. As a doctor, she would think she had everything under control and wouldn't be able to admit she had a problem. I want her to win the damn emmy, maybe this would do it! lol

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't need her to win the Emmy (although I want to, boy would it restore their rep too), and neither does she. Truth is she won't until the Emmy people get over the thing against DAYS (I mean, how else do you explain Reckell not being nommed last year, or Renee Jones in supporting who outshined everyone in just like two episodes). I just want her to get a frickin' storyline. I'm watching interviews and clips and stuff, and the fan reaction to her is overwhelming, even more than I expected and I'm a fan. She's Deidre Hall for frak's sake! She has her very own special day, she's broken record after record and she's being pushed into sitting around a pub reading letters concerning re-written crap about a storyline that SHE started where we KNOW the true history. It's a travesty, and if they can fix it, I ain't rejecting that. But they better give her some magic or her fans will be pissed. I love that she's loyal, but man I wish she'd kick them in the nuts at times.

I want Hogan to write her a goddammit amazing storyline where Marlena goes nuts, goes after Stefano, Andre and EJ for revenge, makes them pay and then just throws herself into work. She can meet someone new while trying to force the images and the pain of losing John out of her mind and then head for a breakdown. It'd be amazing. I want some goddamn emotion, and this lady does it better than anyone.

• Members

I've waited awhile to comment on this as it is such a whirlwind. I am not going to being Drake's recent comments or any of that [!@#$%^&*] into this as I think there is enough here to comment on as is.

I don't think Drake leaving at this juncture will hurt the show. Perhaps it will in a minor fashion but most J&M fans are Dee fans first and will stick around as long as she has story. That is the key IMO. If they are going to do this, they must do it right. The fallout has to be great and long-lasting. Dee needs to be frontburner before, during, and after this. This needs to be epic.

I am a firm believer in that you need to do what is best for the show in that you create the best drama and entertainment possible. Days has not taken a big risk since the SSK and even that they went back on. They need a risk. I think we all mentioned that last year when Hogan began. They need something that gets people talking, whether it's a mixed bag of reactions or not. If Hogan and crew see the chance to tell a fantastic story that could be very memorable, they need to go for it. This show has been hesitant for far too long. Killing John will create a feeling that no one is safe. It will restore the credibility of death and danger on the show. It will amp up the suspense and drama levels, something that is needed. They can't keepy shying away from stories like this because someone is a vet or has a huge fanbase. Primetime shows do it all the time and I think it's time other soaps do it too. I;m not advocating for soaps to kill vets left and right. It doesn't even have to be a vet. I would just like to see soaps avoid caving to fanbases or to the "They are a vet, you can't do that" [!@#$%^&*] that has become common place. Writers should not be boxed in. They need to just go ahead and tell a story and trust that the audience will be behind it. It won't always happen but drama should not be shied away from. This is a daytime drama. People die in real life and we should be able to see that happen to anyone on the soaps, regardless of who they are. It's realistic and compelling and it's something that has been missing from Days out of fear of backlash and fanbases. It's time Days proves that anything can happen, which was the feeling the show had in the 80's and 90's. If they show they can take risks, then I think you will attract some newer, general fans that will find interest in that fact, much like what happened during the SSK plot.

I may be down on Drake but this will hurt and it should. However, Days needs to go for what can help the show thrive and I think the death of a major character can get people to watch again. The main thing is Days needs to hold them and that means doing this right. I don't like the way this sounds. For one thing, Drake's contract is up in January so that is fishy them saying October. Also, no body being found makes me wonder if Drake isn't even out and someone just got a hold of the "mysterious story for John" that was hinted at in SOW. Maybe Drake will go off for a bit while they renegotiate his contract? I just thought that whole part was weird and actually made me doubt a little that he is leaving. I don't see Drake going recurring either.

Whatever the case, I have a feeling he is out, at least for some length of time. I want to think he is fired but I also wonder if they are measuring fan reaction. I just hope if he goes out it's not like what we are hearing. It has to be bigger then that. We'll see.

I remember last November when the rumor circulated that a Days icon was fired. I still think that was Drake and that he was meant to die when he was shot and they changed it. Maybe they were afraid to do it then on the heels of many other exits or maybe they decided to try writing him off for 5 months first to see what happened. I do think he was the icon and they re-considered for some reason and fired RJ for some stupid reason instead. From that point, though, I began to realize one of the big 4 had to go. Regardless of whether Hogan wrote for them or not, I just knew one would have to go for the show to help it's finances and, ultimately, to help stories. I just think they are having a hard time writing new and original stuff for the big 4. Yes, that is stupid but I can see why when they have been here as long as they have. Killing John can create story for Bo, Hope, Marlena, and many others and I can see the motivation in all that.

I think this is going to be an interesting Fall and I don't think we will see the true impact of this until if and when it actually happens and we see the fallout as well. The fact that we are getting info from all over about Drake tends to make me think he is going to be gone in some way, though.

• Members

If they write him off by killing John, they MUST make it a real death, not a body not found, so he can be brought back a year down the line. The character had a nice run, but John Black to me, represents the JER years, which is what sent this show into the turmoil it's in. John Black is a cartoon character, and Drake's acting makes it worse. Years ago, when he was Roman, the character was strong enough to survive Drake; John Black isn't!

• Members

I hope for one thing from John's death; that we'll get more DH as Marlena. I hope after John's death, Marlena suffers a major downspiral and we the fans get to see all of it. Without that, Marlena's emotional impact, it could very well turn out to be a complete and utter flop.

Archived