Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yep. There’s no way this doesn’t lead to changes in how umpires operate.

Osaka has impressed me with her class and composure both during and after the match. And Serena was good to show she wasn’t angry at *Naomi* when they hugged.

Good on Serena for telling the crowd to stop booing. Naomi doesn’t deserve that.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

She would have never been losing to Sharapova, but I take your point. And Naomi just isn’t hateable in the same way Maria is.

But just going back to the match. Naomi absolutely took the racquet out of Serena’s hands. She was better, full stop. She’s an amazing player and a deserving Grand Slam champion.

I wonder if there will be a rift between Serena and Patrick. In the press conference, Serena seemed pissed that he admitted coaching. But it was a misunderstanding. It wasn’t about Serena “cheating”; it was about Patrick’s behavior. The rules aren’t clear to the players.

Note that Jared Donaldson wasn’t penalized for physically getting in an umpire’s face.

Saw this:

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

It was an incredible achievement for Osaka and honestly, it didn't really surprise me that she won. 

That coaching warning controversy though was, just ay ay ay.  And Patrick just thinks a bit too highly of himself.

Also Carlos Ramos has a bit of a reputation over issuing questionable decisions. Look it up.

It was an unforgettable match, that's for sure.

• Members

I was wondering if you were watching this year, especially with the courts so slow. It’s been a sh!tshow with the unsafe heat conditions making play sloppy and umpires inserting themselves into matches in questionable ways (Cornet, Kyrgios, Serena). But I thought Nadal/Thiem and Cilic/De Minaur were all-time classic matches. Great shotmaking and fight, especially from the youngsters. The women unfortunately disappointed, aside from Osaka/Sabalenka and today in spite of the madness.

• Members

To be honest, I'd by lying if I didn't admit that my enthusiasm was dampened when I saw that Venus and Serena were going to facing each other so early in the tournament but I did see matches here and there, mostly in the 2nd week.

These tennis tournaments can be such a mess and made worse by sometimes questionable decision making and conflicts of interests being injected into the sport. 

And just think, we now have a strangely revamped Davis Cup format to add to all the chaos.  Fun times.

• Administrator

Congrats to Naomi being the first Japanese woman to win a grand slam.  I didn't get to see the match but saw the highlights.  The way Naomi plays, wow, I think she could be tennis' next big thing.  I know it's just one grand slam, but I think she *could* be Serena's heir apparent.    It really sucks that this win for her was overshadowed with controversy.    I never understand why players can't get coaching - to have communication.  Coaching is a big part of sports and I wish tennis would change this rule. 

• Members

Why, because she's emotional when she has something on the line?  Serena is not responsible for Osaka and she has a right to be angry and fight for what she believes is right.  The timing was off for Osaka's first Slam, but again, that's not Serena's problem.   Naomi played amazing tennis and she's going home a Slam Champion, taking $3.8m with her.  She will be fine.  I don't like when BabyRena surfaces, but I will be damned if I will give kudos to Ramos when the men are out here getting coached by umpires, killing rackets, putting their hands on linesmen, screaming at them as they take their shirts off and sit for minutes at a time with no worries.  Nadal gets coached from the stands, abuses the time clock and has umpires removed.  Come on now! 

Naomi is certainly the heir apparent.  Sascha has done an outstanding job.  

The thing about the coaching is that Serena didn't even see it.  The rule is the player has to pay the price, but damn!  She never uses on court coaching because Serena can usually figure out how to adjust so I understand her not wanting to be labeled a cheat.  Couple that with getting clocked by your opponent and things don't end well.  When history is on the line, Queen does awful.  How long did it take to get to 18?  Patrick not only was cheating, but then he rats out others?  That's the most foul of all of this.  Rat!  

Lastly, y'all know Serena has been thru it in NY. Some her own doing and some of it has to do with umpires playing her dirty.  How did we get Hawkeye?