August 6-10, 2007

Toups

• Members

Yes, the ratings are real.

I've been SUPER busy this morning so I haven't been able to do a post here yet. I do post at another board and then come here but I guess some people get anxious and copy and paste and then don't credit where they are from so people aren't certain if they are legit or not.

I don't have dailies for some reason the site I go to hasn't updated since 7/22, but I have the final standings and demos for 8/6 - 8/10. Enjoy!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldnt know. But I noticed all of CBS went up except ATWT. See that talls me that Y&R's rise and fall in the ratings doesnt determine how good ATWT numbers will be. I hope the Nuke days did well. I am anxious to see the day to day numbers and viewers.

• Members

You know I half expected Rosanna to wake up and say, " I am so worried about Gwen." Paul says, " You don't know Gwen." Rosanna: "" I feel like I already Know her. She is such a wonderful person"

See I can write just like Jean.

• Members

"Guiding Light" has the most mediocre time slot across the country than any other soaps on air. For an example, GL airs 9am, 10am, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm in many markets instead of the designated time slot of 3pm EST. GL does not air in the Sacramento and Detroit market. Surprisingly, GL is holding up as much as they can with CBS's overall declining ratings from primetime, late-night, and evening news; however, ATWT, B&B and Y&R should have no excuses since they have a more consistent, stable time slot compared to GL. Think about it, if GL and ATWT or GL and B&B swap positions, I think GL would have higher ratings than B&B and ATWT in their respective time slots.

GL is improving in the demo ratings (which advertisers crave for), airing same day episodes on the CBS.com Inner Tube after 6pm EST, and now with the pending news fan fave returns of David Andrew MacDonald (Edmund) and Daniel Cosgrove (Billy); GL will hold steady and rely on the health of the other CBS soaps to improve ratings. GL has always been #4 rated CBS soap for decades which does not mean GL is going to be cancelled or doomed. It is a FACT that cable and internet has been for the longest-time expanding their channels and viewing options to the audiences. Take a look at GL for over the last 70 years, gone from radio to TV to Podcasts and now to Internet Video Demand; they will find ways to follow the viewers and attract new viewers as well. This is what all daytime soaps are currently doing from SoapNet to Direct TV to internet to other venues; just because ratings are down in the Nielsen figures (which I strongly believe it is the most inaccurate measurement system in the world), does not mean the network are moving fast to fire producers and headwriters. The network execs are looking at other figures such as internet counters, Soap Net cable ratings, podcast counters, advertisers responses, viewers responses, website counters correlating to the television viewership counts. There is a reason why Passions has reversed their cancellation by moving from NBC to Direct TV, which their 12-17 demo speaks volume.

All in all, daytime soaps is going through a long-transitional process to keep interests in the audiences. Do I believe the soap's Nielsen ratings should be higher? Yes, but I do believe the Nielsen figures are distorted and does not reflect the actual reality of the fans. How come I never got picked to do a rating surveys in my entire lifetime thus far? So ultimately, I will continue to be entertained by the soaps whether I like it or not, but that's the beauty of watching soaps, they want us to hate villains, love sluts, hate heros, love hunks, etc etc along with the stories they tell. This is why I love Guiding Light and it's rich 70-year history and looking forward to more years.

A little about my soap habit, I do seldom watch GH, OLTL, GH: Nightshift via SoapNet and keep tabs via magazines/internet on Y&R, B&B, ATWT and DAYS. But I currently avoid AMC and Passions because they are messes to the max right now. On a lighter note, I'm a huge fan of the past soaps of Santa Barbara, Generations, and Another World.

That's all for my rant-of-the-day. :)

• Members

I completely agree with all that you said. AMC needs to bring back characters who MEAN something to the viewers and create more stories around them... utilizing history. Otherwise, I don't think they will be able to bring back any of their lapsed viewers and from these ratings there seem to be a lot of them.

• Members

ATWT has basically stunk for the past 18 months. I loathe this JJ story -- from the kid, to Jack/Carly (and I love them), Brad/Katie. I FF through everything except Carly's fight with that bartender chick. The only actors worth watching are Craig, Lucinda, Susan, Alison, Vienna/Henry and Iris (at least, she has good one-liners). Maybe when Rosebud gets out of her bed, I can watch her. I fear the Nuke story is going to be a HUGE bust, which will be too bad.

• Members

Ditto. I don't give a flying eff about the Fusion girls. The show's unrecognizable outside of Jack, Erica, Adam, and Tad. Jill Larson, Tonya Pinkins, and Jennifer Bassey each have more talent than all the Fusion babes put together, and they are glorified extras.

• Members

Jumpin Jack, thank you for correcting me and I wasn't sure if they were being aired in that market because I looked up the CBS affliates around the Detroit area and according to my research it showed that GL doesn't air there. Now I know that some of those local affiliate's websites are not updated.

All in all, it's a good thing that GL is in the Detroit market. Now if they would be aired in the Sacramento market.......

Archived