Hogan Sheffer report card

• Members

THANK YOU!! I would bow to you if you included Sheri Anderson and Beth Milstein in this post too.

Let's remember B&C, and I did like them and I did feel they "got" Days, spent their first two months ending Langan's stories and fixing the mess he left. Their first stuff aired at the tail end of March 2002 where the Sami/Austin stuff came to an end. They then spent the better part of the next two months tying up Belle/Shawn/Jan and Bo and Hope's baby saga. It was fantastic but still not their stuff. Their new stories didn't really kick in until June 2002 when Tony arrived and so on. They had clunkers with the alien stuff and Billie's return and I would also consider the "Multiple men love Jennifer" arc bad too. Jennifer came off horrible during that time. B&C did strike gold with Hope's kidnapping and Chloe's cancer but the rest of that Fall was nothing spectacular. They had a great feel to the show, especially the family moments and balance, but we didn't see them long enough to know what would've happened if their long-term plans and vision carried out. I think it would've been good, based on how they presented themselves, but we don't know for sure.

Same goes for Beth Milstein. I like her but she did nothing but tie up JER's stories. People argue ratings were high but they didn't increase. They stood still as the fans who waited through all of JER's stories stayed put to see them end. They then left around when Hogan came on because new stories began. Hogan started getting the numbers back to 2.7 in December before the infamous January hit. Beth did character interactions great but what else did she do? She briefly was a HW for Days in the late 80's I believe, or around there, and did nothing notable. Beth is great but we had no inclination as to what stories should do or what long--term plan she had so to see the amount of praise she gets astounds me.

As for Sheri, I love her to death but that was a different time and era. The supercouples were fresh then. Now, they have done so much it's hard to think of new ways to involve them. Plus, Sheri would have to write so many new characters she is not accustomed with and it's a different audience now then it was then. Just ask JER. I think a return by Sheri would be just like what happened with JER, only the writing wouldn't be lazy. Things would give you a sense of been there, done that. Sheri is a fan and loves the show but I just think she is not the answer.

Days has the answer. It's Hogan. If they were to add Sheri or B&C to his team to help him out, that could work. I just don't think you can do better for Days right now as to who else besides Hogan could fill the HW's seat. He's not perfect but his first few months and last couple months proves he gets the show and it's history. That alone makes him right in my book. he just needs to work on a few things but I do think Days has the right man, as long as further budget issues and a certain EP don't get in his way. JMO.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's the thing with Brash and Cwickly... they got "soap opera." As Ron Carlivati, the new head writer of OLTL said, soaps are fantasy, drama, comedy, romance, everything tied into one. Brash and Cwickly introduced the hokey alien plot, but they also brought on some amazing family moments. I remember reading SOD, which is typically very hard on DAYS, and issue after issue they got "Thumbs Up" honors, Editor's Choice selections, and even Performer of the Week - something DAYS never gets, which I attribute to the writing. Yeah, the alien plot was a bit much and Colin's murder was trite but the dialogue was crisp, the show never missed a beat down to the detail (anyone remember how realistic the kids' graduation was? There was a SIGN interpreter there for pete's sake!), and they never wrote characters around plot, they wrote plot around characters.

• Members

He didn't bring up the ratings in any major way so i have to give me a F! I'm not if anything can be done to bring back lapse viewes at this point so if he's gettting paid huge bucks he should be replced with someone cheaper. At this point Days should be all about keeping the fans they have so someone with a long history with the show may be better suited to take the show forward and maybe just maybe bring back a few ex viewers.

• Members

Yes, I agree. These are my sentiments exactly. I truly believe he is a great writer, but I don't believe he is right for DAYS. I mean, I agree that the dialogue and scenes are so much better this go-round, but everything is so boring. Then when we expect a payoff, it indeed comes off like it isn't supposed to be that important. I liked, and much preferred, the days when DAYS made a big deal out of these secrets coming out or when someone got married or gave birth to a child. Now, it's as if you blink and you miss it. Hope had her baby, quite effortlessly to be drug-free, in all of 20 seconds. Steve's deprogramming I guess was either off-screen or in one episode and yet, we still don't know what the hell he was doing all that time other than being brainwashed (see I can't even remember). Sami got married *FOR REAL* this time, which should have been a big deal, but IMO it was rather underwhelming and quick. The Ryannie wedding on AMC (around the same time)seemed more heartfelt, less rushed, and engaging. And I don't even watch that show!! Then Stefano and Tony return in I think the most non-dramatic way they've ever came back, as far as I remember. They just...appeared and there they were. Now they are less creepy and dark, but more clannish like some bickering mafia family or something.

Anna and Roman, who I was intrigued about, sleep together off-screen (??) so that was another non-event. I could go on in greater length, but the point I am trying to make is that I am just not enthralled like I used to be. Nothing ever happens. I thought that, maybe with this vendetta story it would signal another DAYS resurgence! But, summer is near over and I find it too underwhelming, as I truly madly deeply could care less about Colleen/Santo falling in love. Everyone is all giggly reading them aloud while we have to sit through the flashbacks, which are quite non-entertaining. So, unfortunately, Hogan gets a D from me. Right now, I truly believe Hogan does not have a long-term vision, which may be why the stories are executed the way they are. Even on ATWT it seemed as if he was just cranking out things as they came to him. I don't know what exactly he was planning for DAYS in the beginning, but I think his intentions were good. To me, it's just not the DAYS I know when I first started watching. The last 20 years, for me DAYS has been the event-driven, gothic supercouple show. Schemers, kidnappings, uncharted islands, doppelgangers, virtual reality. Maybe Hogan was trying to move away from that into something different(much like what Langan tried & failed at), but I believe you can have awesome dialogue and characters with awesome *events* as well. I thought Sussman did this effectly, for me anyway...

If they were to let Hogan go, my choice would be a co-head writing team: one half JER and one half a character-driven writer. Many will disagree, I'm sorry! But, personally, I believe JER is great at doing things other soaps aren't or trying things not done before. And usually, he has a *plan.* His stories are good, but his characters/dialogue isn't. I think what DAYS needs is JER's originality, creativity and actual longterm story and a co-writer to preserve characters, scenes, history, and dialogue. Mix the plot-event driven with the character/dialogue! But hey...JMO. ;-D

• Members

I give him a C because it is an average grade for the year. Sometimes he is an A plus and other times he's an F. Seldom is he anywhere in between. He's not very consistent at all.

He seems to be all over the map. The young people story is interesting, but it's eating up the show right now. EJ rapes Sami and then they try to hook them up as lovers? Don't have a rape if you want to hook em up. I was happy about Sami and Lucas getting married and now it's like they are trying to get rid of Lucas.

I like seeing Doug and Julie and the DiMiera's. I'm glad Steve and Kayla are back and their daughter. But there's no story for Steve and Kayla and the Steve story overall was just weird. The Shaun, Belle and Phillip story could be pretty good, but then again, it's hit and miss.

So anyway, he's done some really good things and then he drops the ball. It is, however, a better show than it has been in years and some days it's the best soap on any of the networks.

• Members

I give him a D- right now. The only plus is that J&M and B&H are getting some screentime, but they really have no story. They are just listeners or plot movers. The Touch the Sky story is full of characters who I don't even know and who are totally unappealing...I have no desire to get to know them. The return of the DiMeras was something I was looking forward to, but I miss the great rivalry of J&M vs Stefano. Nothing makes sense anywhere. How come no one seems to care that EJ raped sami, took John's kidney, tried to kill him etc. etc. How can you get invested in stories when there are absolutely no consequences for anything? Bombs are going off almost every day and no one gets hurt and no one cares. The Colleen/Santo flashback are boring and again, they want me to care about this great romance and I don't. I really want a new writer because I think Sheffer has been awful.

• Members

Sheffer needs to go. I am all for Hogan writing under JER. It would be a great mix. Days just doesn't do it for me no more. There's hardly that feeling "oo.I got to watch tomorrow." It's not there. How do I know, at the end of every episode of Y&R and now even B&B I can't wait for the next episode. Yes like I said scenes and dialog are A-1 but the storylines suck. Nick is about to marry somebody give me a break.

I wish LML and her croonies would write this show, and granted Yes Brash and Cwickly had bad writers, who doesn't they are the best since JER post 98 Days is a very STALE show right now. I mean It was awesome last half of last year but I don't kow what went wrong. And even to this very day with the Diemaras back, it has been a let down.

I also would be interested to see Guza's take on Days.

Hell even Estesen and Brown would be well suited for Days

• Members

I wouldn't want Brown and Esensten anywhere near Days. They came on in January and the quality took a nosedive. As soon as they left, the shoe got better. LML and Guza would do what so many are accusing Hogan of doing. They would pimp certain character, drop plots left and right, and everything would be plot-driven. Hogan has his faults but he isn't plot-driven. The majority of his writing is driven by his characters. The problem is he tens to change gears too much and he does rush things to the point of an event losing it's luster and some things take place offscreen that shouldn't. However, recently, the show has improved on that. The Tony/Andre stuff last week and Tony's reunion with Anna had emotion and felt like a big reveal/event. I only hope that continues.

I also can't beleive so many people are suggesting JER as a co-HW when a year ago people were calling for his head. First off, JER would never accept working with or being a co-HW. Secondly, if so many people believe Hogan is plot-driven or writes characters to fit plots, wouldn't pairing him with JER make it worse? JER is one of the most plot-driven writers out there. As much as I enjoyed his first run, I watch it back now and cringe at how much he dumbed down characters and forced triangles all over the place. I mean, some characters were kept apart for stupid reasons like they didn't talk things out with each other and so on. That is why often times things can seem better then they are the first time and then when you go back and watch them they aren't as good as when you first watched them,

B&C would be ideal and the only two I would accept replacing Hogan. I know they could write well for everyone. I do have my doubts about their stories because we didn't see all that much of THEIR stuff but they seem to have a passion about them. Same goes for Beth. I just don't know enough about what she would do to sit here and say she should be a HW. Co-HW would work though. Sheri would be great as a co-HW but I have my reservations about her as a HW now because I'm just not sure she could write well for those she doesn't know and we have seen so many fantastic writers return to their shows and suck.

I just don't know if there is better then Hogan right now, especially quality-wise. At least he thinks out of the box. Some may not like Santeen but it's better then a tired rehash of J&M battling Stefano for the 465th time or B&H going off and one of them getting nabbed or something. I like things like that but I don't want the whole story to be that and that is what the fanbases want. Then, when they get that, they complain the couples aren't happy. There is no pleasing everyone and we are seeing that with Hogan. The guy is often times damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He is finally accomplishing things and fixing things that should've been down years ago. He uses history and doesn't crap all over it, at least not recently. The balance is much better and he has grounded the show. He is finally free to write how he wishes so hopefully that will continue because I am seeing much more positive reaction lately and think it can only get better if this continues.

• Members

Noone knows what Beth's own stories would be like or whether Sheri would recapture her old magic. But Corday has nothing to lose giving them a chance*. It won't be hard for them to match the current pathetic ratings and both would be significantly cheaper than Hogan. Like Toups suggested, the money saved could be used to give the vets more airtime.

*Assuming he hasn't given Hogan a multiyear contract with a buy-out clause he cannot afford.

• Members

The problem with that Ponz is that the show would have to start all over again with another transition and setting up new stories. I don't know if it has enough time to do that now. The show needs to get going now. I think it's too late to bring someone else in here to do some rush job to get improvements immediately. By the time they get in here, write their new stuff, and get all settled...it will be late this year and that gives the show a little over a year to explode in the ratings. Not to mention nitpicking Days fans, who have only grown worse with time, bickering left and right and confusing everyone with what exactly they want from their show.

I am also sick of the money issue. Hogan's whole reign has been hindered by cast changes, budget issues, and Corday until now so to say he hasn't been worth it isn't fair. His first 2-3 months were superb and the show seems like it is getting much better every week now so I would say that Hogan is doing just fine when he is allowed to write. I am not saying the guy is perfect but at least he gives us daily quality and he is willing to take risks and not rehash crap left and right.

Archived