Y&R : Peter Bergman

• Members

So what was the story as to why Peter Bergman left AMC? Was he fired. I just caught the last few moments of his soapography...and he seemed to really love his time at AMC and even talked about how people thought he was "sticking it to AMC in 1991 when he won his first Emmy"

Also a sweet story: he said when he was in NYC one year for the Emmys after he had won two they were tearing down the old AMC studio and it upset him...so his wife Mary Ellen went to the construction site and got a brick for him! How sweet is that?? I love to hear stories about Peter and his wife, the same with Robert Newman and his wife!!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He always said it surprised him when he was FIRED from AMC, but he still speaks fondly of the show and still keeps in contact with a few AMC co-stars.

Anyway, at this point, I can't see him as anyone but Jack Abbott. Some might still argue Lester will always be Jack, but Bergman has more than made that role his own.

In the end, being fired from AMC worked out just fine for Bergman. Jack is a way more interesting character than Cliff ever was.

• Members

Yes he was fired from AMC.

He has said several times that he that he fully believed that he would be on AMC forever. He loved working there, and honestly felt that his role of Cliff Warner was going to be the next Dr. Joe Martin.

I think if Taylor Miller had stayed put he probably would have, but no one they put him with after she left was ever accepted by the audience. Cliff & Nina were it.

Honestly I liked him with both Angie and Devon and think either would have worked, but with Angie they were still nervous about them being of different races.

Just a note of trivia Peter Bergman originally auditioned for Jeff Martin - he didn't get the role but they remembered him and hired him to play Cliff. I don't think it was one of those things where the role was created specifically for him but was planned and they remembered Peter. I know that they were looking for a Jeff recast in early 1979 when James O'Sullivan left the role. They went ahead and scrapped bring Jeff back on at the time and wrote him out. He did not come back to town until 1986 then played by Jeffrey Byron.

Anyway Peter ended up as Cliff instead of as Jeff. I honestly think it would have been interesting to have seen the show keep Jeff around but I guess at the time it would have been weird as Jeff was still married and they would have had to have him divorce for him to get involved with Nina.

• Members

I love Peter as Jack and he has made the role his own, but the definitive Jack for me is still Terry Lester. They both play a different Jack and made the role their owns, but Terry's jack was so devilish and so sexy. Peter has some of that but not the full sexiness that Terry had. One thing about both actors could act and both were equally talented.

• Members

Peter Bergman had these famous lines:

"I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV." They had him on some TV Land special, Famous Catchphrases, and he was on there talking about how he was in the commercial for cough medicine, and how everyone who would see him on the street, would ask him for medical advice :lol:

• Members

Peter said that Debbi Morgan (a Y&R fan) is the one who convinced him to play Jack Abbott. I am so thankful for her because I can't imagine not having Peter as Jack! He is absolutely amazing, being fired from AMC is the best thing to ever happen to him.,

• Members

I had never heard any rumors of Peter being a diva. Quiet the contrary actually.

Peter was fired at a very trying time for the show. It was at a point of transition in 1989. Ratings were down, and the show needed a boost. They fired a lot of legacy characters and actors at the same time including Mark LaMura (ex-Mark Dalton), Kathleen Noone (ex-Ellen Shepherd Dalton), Vasili Bogazianos (ex- Benny Sago) and Peter Bergman (ex- Cliff Warner). There was an interview about that time on the show with Felicia Behr I think it was, and they talked about how they were banking on the younger cast, especially Maurice Bernard (ex- Nico Kelly) and Rosa Nevin (ex-Cecily Davidson Brent), and we saw what good that did them because they jumped ship themselves. At the end of the day, the cast cuts did not really hurt the show, quiet the contrary actually as AMC lead the early 90's.

I love the Peter Begman story. Mary Ellen actually grabbed the brick right after he won the first Emmy. I think Peter and Cliff could have stuck around Pine Valley sans Nina (in the form of Taylor Miller or otherwise). His chemistry with Debi was very good, but the public, and abc, was not ready for that. But there was a big part of the canvas that he did not have a chance to interact with in any other capacity than go-to doctor/wedding guest. It did not help that he was not a direct family member of any of the major families. By the end of his run, he was a "floating" character, much like Simone Torres (Terri Ivens). He was just shifted from one relationship to another, from one group of friends to the next.

The thing about Peter is that he is really loyal to his AMC roots. He loves James Mitchell (Palmer Cortlandt). If James ever retires, or heaven forbid he asks for his character to be killed off, I can see Peter asking for an out in his Y&R contact to make an appearence as Cliff in his honour.

• Members

You have inside sources do you? Because every interview I've read with Bergman, anything I've ever heard about him is he is nothing like Eric Braeden in terms of being a "diva".

Peter Bergman is one of the few actors on daytime television to have two roles that were made for him. He will always be remembered as Dr. Cliff Warner, but he has also made the role of Jack Abbott his when for a while people assumed no one could ever match Terry Lester.

Peter Bergman is one of the most talented men to ever grace the daytime screen. I am cheering him on for another emmy this June!

Archived