ALL: I've given up DAYS, Need a new soap

• Members

Traditional, character driven storylines would be marvelous, if Hogan would get his priorities straight. Man needs to realize that DAYS is NOT Hannah Montana, The Hills, or some teen show on The N. We do not like our show to revolve around the youth, while the veterans get shafted. Why watch a show just because the writing is good? Characters are just as important and Jed, Abby, Max, Willow, Phillip, Shawn, Belle, Lucas & Kate are not entertaining me at all. :(

And I'm not the only person feeling this way. Everyone I talk to in real life has basically stopped watching. We were talking about soaps at work the other day and someone mentioned DAYS and almost all the ones who used to watch DAYS said they have basically stopped watching because it's so boring and the supercouples are no longer on.

Hogan Sheffer has broken 6 of the great Douglas Marlands soap rules.

3) Read the fan mail. The very characters that are not thrilling to you may be the audience's favorites. Broken - (John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Maggie etc)

4) Be objective. When I came to ATWT, the first thing I said was, what is pleasing the audience? You have to put your own personal likes and dislikes aside and develop the characters that the audience wants to see. Broken - Has a hard on for everyone under 30

6) Don't change a core character. You can certainly give them edges they didn't have before, or give them a logical reason to change their behavior. But when the audience says, "He would never do that," then you have failed. Broken - See Philip & Victor

7) Build new characters slowly. Everyone knows that it takes six months to a year for an audience to care about a new character. Tie them in to existing characters. Don't shove them down the viewers' throats. Broken - (Willow, Jed, Nick)

9) Don't fire anyone for six months. I feel very deeply that you should look at the show's canvas before you do anything. Broken

10) Good soap opera is good storytelling. It's very simple. Broken, or else ratings would be better and fans wouldn't be tuning out in droves. DAYS has scored their lowest ratings in history (3 weeks running) in the all important demos (18-49, 18-34)

Some writers either get Days or they don't

JER#1 Got it

Langan - Didn't

C&B - Got it

Higley = Didn't

JER#2 - Got it (sometimes)

Hogan - Doesn't

DAYS is not a show in which you create your own palette by demolishing the cast, bringing on newbies, and pushing DAYS finest to the back burner. It just doesn't work and the sooner Hogan realizes this the better off DAYS will be.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well then why did you King? :lol: .

I have a hard time quitting the shows that are struggling so I can only imagine how hard it would be quitting the show I love. I just thought you would give Days more of a chance before quitting. The show was a mess when Hogan took over and it's going to take more then a few months to fix it. Not to mention the cast cuts, budget issues, and everything else we probably don't know about. If I didn't love the show, I would still give it a break because it has alot of issues to deal with and who knows how long it will be here. I would think Days fans would want to sit back and just enjoy it for as long as we have it so that when and if it does go we can say we were there for it all.

Whatever. To each their own. I should just shutup :lol:

• Members

Rick-how much of that is Hogan's fault?

How do you know what is going on behind the scenes? What if the actors took the time off? No one knows.

I have talked to many who are still watching and like the young couples. The supercouples are still on as we have Steve/Kayla and Lucas/Sami on. Bp/Hope/John/Marlena were off for the month of February and even still were still on here and there. They have not been totally backburnered.

I just hate people jumping ship without knowing all the facts. No one knows what is going on behind the scenes but it's very clear something is. Days has two newbie chararacters contract and frontburner. That's it. I also think it's unfair to say that Hogan doesn't get Days. He got Days pretty well back in November-January when people were praising him. Something happened and it's unfair to blame him for it.

If you aren't entertained, fine. I'm just going to step out of this (or try to) because I think some people are being too quick to dump the show and are forgetting how much of an uphill battle this show is facing in terms of budget and other issues. Maybe I am just an old fashioned type of fan that just sticks by their show no matter what. I guess that maybe why I feel strongly about this. Whatever anyone chooses to watch, enjoy!

• Members

He did the same thing with ATWT. He backburned the vets and put on his favorites. He was good the first 2 years but after that he did what he is doing at Days now. I saw Days the other day and the storyline of Shawn and Belle in the island is a copycat of Simon/Lily.....Simon/Katie..... So it is Hogan's fault.

• Members

I know you "have" to defend DAYS, but you're not getting what I am saying. You keep going back to the point that everyone who has tuned out of DAYS the last three months is being "too quick" aka not as loyal as you and you seem to think we're crazy for doing so. The show's boring. The show always fails to satisfy. It always just changes regimes and says "GOOD DAYS ahead!" and it doesn't deliver. We're tired. We're not disloyal. We want payoffs. We want reciprocation. We're not getting it. We're just as loyal as people still watching. We just have less time.

• Members

Hogan is doing nothing important unless you are a SHELLE fan and he is trying to right the wrong done them. I happen to not see the charm of them so this story is a drag.

I do see a glimpse of something important though. I'm going to hang around to see it to fruition or fall apart. I'm hoping it's very important and one the fans will truly love. It is ..........the finale of the DiMera/Brady war.

• Members

Oy...here we go with the Days/ATWT comparison.

They are not the same show!!! Maybe there are some similarities but the stories are different. Some of the characters were already similar to characters on ATWT before Hogan came aboard. Hogan is not at fault. The balance was fine until January when something is happened. The J&M story was obviously re-written so that is a prime example. The show isn't perfect but to say it's the same thing that happened at ATWT is unfair at this point. If Days didn't have the issues it does, the fine but I can't buy that knowing the show has alot facing it right now.

Oh, and King, sorry if you felt like I was jumping on you. It's just frustrating for me to see some of the posts. I just need to lay off a bit. It's hard because I expect everyone to be like me but sometimes I forget that other people watch other shows and have a different mindset, making it easier to quit. It's just my favorite and I guess I expect everyone to be like me and stick it out.

I still think some are too quick to quit but I will just agree to disagree and bow out of this (for real this time or at least I will try :lol: ).

Archived