New Soapnet GH Spinoff Coming?

• Members

Looks like Soapnet is finding an interesting way to launch its "own" soap: A GH spinoff using existing characters from GH with one-episode arcs and higher production values. (So the article says.)

http://www.tvweek.com/article.cms?articleId=31495

Port Charles failed, but maybe if this stays in the realm of reality, it could work? Anyway, it seems like an experiment, to me, to see if original soaps can profit...and to see if - just maybe - soaps could survive on Soapnet should the networks bail? (My theory.)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What the hell kind of SOAP OPERA will be airing on SoapNet whose story arcs only last for ONE EPISODE? That's not a soap opera -- that's a sitcom!

Idiotic, and stupid!

I'm pissed to know that they'll have great production values and location scenes, though. Figures it would be for GH!

Screw you, Frons.

• Members

Also upon re-reading, apparently Soapnet has plans for another "completely original" daytime drama, too.

I do NOT like Frons. That said, at least ABC, unlike NBC's Kevin Reilly, seems to think soaps still have life in them. (And that was also brought up in the article.)

• Members

Aside from Karen Harris's contributions, PORT CHARLES SUCKED the big one for most of its run. If we are comparing the new GH experiment to trash like Vampire PC, I know which one I would choose.

Sorry. Even though I HATE Frons and ABC, I go with them on this one.

• Members

I respect that. I mean, not everyone watched PC during that "golden" period, which is upsetting because that was probably the Best Soap of 2000. Suspenseful, charming, funny, intelligent, and HIGHLY underrated.

So, those who enjoyed PC during that period would understand WHY I hated that sharp turn from "Daytime ER" to "Young DARK SHADOWS" in a matter of months.

PC went from grand storytelling to uninspired, low-rent shock value. At least with this show, they may be focusing on actual character development instead of changing characters motives and romances at the drop of a hat the way PC did with most, if not, all of its characters.

And I'm not saying GH isn't guilty of that either. But NIGHTSHIFT I bet will beat PC at its "vampire" best.

I just thought of something...NIGHTSHIFT seems similar to GL's "INSIDE THE LIGHT" concept. Several GL episodes during ITL are "standalones" that barely move the plot along, but are still entertaining and suspenseful("Me, Myself, & Him" immediately comes to mind). I think this could actually be a cute, funny idea if its used to give insight into the characters and focuses on that one character or set of characters throughout the episode.

Archived