Oprah!

LumiLove

• Members

Ok Ive really wanted to say this for the longest time. I believe in MY opinion that Oprah is racist. Whenever I flip through the channels and come to her show its always about black people. Yeah she will occasionally have some other race on her show .. or actors/actresses. But today just blew it over the edge for me. She was in some country for a school for these black girls and someone asked why not any whites .. and she said something like theres no need or something?!?!?! WTF! So basically shes telling me that blacks cant help themselves or whites are too goody?!?! Sorry I needed to voice this, this is MY opinion, so no need to be harsh. thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oprah is not a racist. She has ALL types of races on her show and I dont see her guests as majority black. What she is doing in Africa is a good thing and people are always criticizing her moves and motives. I cant comment on the question you are referring to bc I did not hear it myself but I doubt she meant any harm

• Members

Oprah helps a lot of people regardless of race. Through her show, she has given away a lot to people based on need, not on color. I disagree with your opinion that she is racist.

She is opening a Leadership School for Girls in Africa. You could continue on that argument and say what about boys? Or Catholics? Or Muslims, the list can go on and on. We don't know what her ultimate plan is, maybe she is opening up schools for everyone somewhere. But based on what I have seen of her, I don't think she is racist.

• Members

Oprah is always helping people of all races, lol. Hell, some black people her criticize for catering to white people too much. The woman just can't win.

The history of racism, social injustice and apartheid in South Africa is the reason why Oprah is being proactive.

------

The idea for the school was born in 2000 at a meeting between Winfrey and Mandela. She said she decided to build the academy in South Africa rather than the United States out of love and respect for Mandela and because of her own African roots.

She said she planned a second school for boys and girls in the eastern province of KwaZulu-Natal.

Many state-funded schools, especially in the sprawling townships that sprang up under white racist rule, are hopelessly overcrowded and lack even basic necessities such as books. They also are plagued by gang violence, drugs and a high rate of pregnancy among school girls.

Top-class study and sports facilities are available but are largely confined to private schools that are still dominated by the white minority, since they are too expensive for many black and mixed race South Africans.

Winfrey's academy received 3,500 applications from across the country. A total of 152 girls ages 11 and 12 were accepted.

To qualify, they had to show both academic and leadership potential and have a household income of no more than $787 a month. Eventually, the academy will accommodate 450 girls.

The 28-building campus boasts computer and science laboratories, a library and theater along

• Members

Oprah isn't a racist...Oprah, yes, may speak her mind too much at times (but who doesn't in the television talk show genre), but she doesn't have all African-American folks on her show....she has a vast mixture.

The episode you were watching was obviously the one about her trip to Africa...

Some things people say shouldn't be read into so seriously...Her comment may have came off to you as rude/callous, however, you can't base that one comment as her suddenly being a racist, or not liking a certain race.

• Members

I don't think Oprah is racist. She has given away lots of money, cars and even homes to people of all races.

But I must admit that the last few Oprah shows I've seen (which haven't been that many - I'm always at work when it airs), she has appeared goody-goody. The one I'm referring to is when she and Gail did their road trip and she "admitted" that she didn't know how to pump gas. :rolleyes: I thought it was an inappropriate comment, since I'm sure the majority of her viewers have to pump their own gas. <_<

But, I guess if I had as many millions as Oprah, I'd "forget" how to pump gas too! ;)

• Members

Her comments have to be taken in context. They were made in South Africa where the poverty and education gap between blacks and whites (after decades of apartheid, BTW) is absolutely huge. I'm talking the kind of poverty the US hasn't experienced in over a century. The need for schools like this in many black townships is probably very badly needed.

Plus, in SA, indigenous Africans make up the vast majority of the population. SA has 44.8 million people (according to www.SouthAfrica.info), and 37.7 million are African -- that's 79.5% of the population.

South Africa's population by race

690-1823-2658-0_414112.jpg

Oh, and the site also says that: "The 2001 census found that 22% of Africans had no schooling, compared to 8.3% of coloureds, 5.3% of Indians and 1.4% whites." So, it's not like she's favoring only a chosen few.

• Members

Yes, I do find this hilarious because like Queen said, Oprah is always criticized by black people for being too white and catering to white women. This school is an amazing thing and I hope she builds more! The kids in Africa have ZERO shot at life, in America at least you can pretty much get to a school. With them they have no options. Oprah is giving them an option and a chance at life. If these kids continue to be successful (and they expand) it could do great things for Africa in 10 or 20 years.

Archived