Plane Crash in Manhattan

Shawn

• Members

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash.ap/index.html

Aircraft crashes into New York building

POSTED: 3:02 p.m. EDT, October 11, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Police say an aircraft has crashed into a building on Manhattan's Upper East Side at 72nd Street and York Avenue. It is near Rockefeller Center.

There was no word on casualties.

Video from the scene shows at least three apartments in the high rise fully engulfed in flames.

It's unclear if it was a small plane or a helicopter.

I guess we'll have to wait for more news as it unfolds, but I figured I'd let you non-New Yorkers know since I'm sure all NYC dwellers have heard about it by now.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://pics.livejournal.com/ecctv/pic/0074yt9r

Plane Registered to Cory Lidle, pitcher for NY Yankees strikes 50 Story Building in NYC

-edit-

Lidle confirmed Dead

NEW YORK (Reuters) - At least two people were killed when a small aircraft crashed into a 52-story building on Manhattan's Upper East Side in overcast weather on Wednesday in what appeared to be an accident, officials said.

U.S. and New York officials said they had no reason to believe the crash was related to terrorism.

A New York police department spokeswoman said the crash killed two people and possibly more.

Military fighter jets were patrolling several U.S. cities as a precaution, the North American Aerospace Defense Command said.

"NORAD fighters are airborne over numerous cities. They are airborne now as a prudent measure," said NORAD spokeswoman Kyle Combs. She did not say which cities were being patrolled, or how many, but added the fighters were sent up right after the plane crashed into the building.

On Wall Street, U.S. stocks extended losses on the news but quickly recovered once it became clear the crash was not an attack similar to the hijacked plane attacks of September 11, 2001.

"We have no reason to believe at this point that it is terrorist related," said New York City Police Chief Michael Collins.

The aircraft crashed at East 72nd St. and York Avenue, near the East River, a 1980s building which is mainly upscale residential apartments but also has a small specialized hospital on the bottom 22 floors.

Luis Gonzales, 23, was working in the building remodeling a nearby apartment and saw the crash.

"I was looking out the window and I saw the plane coming so close to us and it swerved to try and avoid the building but it hit the building," he said. "It was a small plane. We went knocking on doors to try and see if people needed to get out, but we did not get any answers."

"I am still shaking," he said.

Smoke and flames poured from the upper floors of the high-rise building and more than one hundred firefighters were dispatched to the scene, reviving memories of the September 11 attacks.

"It's really bad. Flames are shooting from the building. I was on my terrace and I saw it," said witness Tressa Octave, who lives two blocks away.

The Federal Aviation Administration said preliminary information indicated the crash was a small plane.

"It's unknown what type of aircraft it is or how many people were aboard," FAA spokeswoman Diane Spitaliere said.

The plane was flying by visual flight rules, meaning the pilot does not have to be in contact with air traffic controllers.

Earlier, the fire department had said the craft was a helicopter.

Justice Department spokeswoman Tasia Scolinos said, "all indications from the FBI are that this was an accident. The initial assessment is that it probably just was a bad accident."

Paula Gonzales, who works in a neighboring building, said, "I was walking along the street then I heard a big bang and everybody looked up. I saw a plane go in. I saw small pieces of a plane falling. Then people started running."

John Madden from Tampa, Florida, in New York on business, was in the building next to the crash site. "The whole building shook, and we were told to evacuate."

White House spokesman Tony Fratto said President George W. Bush was aware of the crash in New York and "we're gathering facts" about it.

He said White House not commenting at this point on determining what happened.

Homeland Security spokeswoman Joanna Gonzalez said, "There is no indication of a terror nexis at this time. There's no specific or credible intelligence suggesting an imminent threat to the homeland at this time."

---------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061011/ts_nm/crash_newyork_dc

http://www.cnn.com/

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2621860

• Members

I read about this at another site and I couldn't believe some of the cruel and tasteless remarks people were making. This is sad and horrible enough as it is, but we can all imagine the first thing that went through people's heads... I know it went through mine.

• Members

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who lost their loved ones. For the people of NYC, my heart breaks for you all. I can't imagine what you were thinking and feeling in the time where no one was sure what was going on. I hope everyone who visits here that lives in NYC is safe tonight.

• Members

Steinbrenner confirmed that Cory Lidle was in the plane when it crashed. I was in Barnes and Nobles when I found out that he died, and this guy was saying how he was so bad of a pitcher that he must've committed suicide. It was the most tasteless thing I had ever heard.

It was pretty easy to tell that it wasn't a terrorist attack though. What would be the point of a small plane going into an apartment for terrorists? If they're going to do something, it'd be on a grander scale.

• Members

Lidle did have some issues with teammates in the past but he was accepted quickly with the Yankess. He did very well and he was gracious to the media. I am in shock right now and this is all just so sad. It really puts everything that has happened in perspective. This week with all the Yankee stuff and all-it is almost like this happened as a reminder that there are bigger things in life then winning and all that.

It is sad how his wife and child did not know until hours later because they were on a flight home to California. This really hit me hard as a Yankee fan and as a human being. I was so scared when I first saw it because of 9/11 and then finding out who it was just saddened me. I am in complete shock and I am happy baseball was going to go on as planned (despite the Mets being cancelled due to rain). It is what Cory would want.

RIP Cory and my deepest condolences to his family and friends :(

• Members

This is just horrible news happening just a mere five years after the horrible attacks on the city itself....gosh NYC has suffered far too much in the past couple of years: 9/11, blackout, and now this plane crash

God bless the New Yorkers for staying strong and getting through tragedies collectively rather than through animosity on disagreements

Hope everyone recovers okay

Archived