DAYS: NY Daily News interview with Hogan Sheffer

• Members

A friend of mine shared this with me and I wanted to share it with y'all. ENJOY!

"A New Days Dawning" by Carolyn Hinsey.

Days has a new writer and his stories start airing next week. HS says they are going back to the couples. The men are stronger. The women are smart. Marlena's going back to being a heroine and J/M are going back to the adventurous couple they were. Going to start moving Bo/Hope back together to get over the marriage crisis and the baby will be central to their storyline. Steve and Kayla will be really central to everything that happens in the next few months. They will be front and center. These are the couples along with Sami and Lucas we will be concentrating on.

He has to leave the younger set alone for awhile due to Jason Cook, Farah Fath and Kyle Brandt all quitting the show. Shawn's going to be recast mid storyline. Philip will go off and return in a few months with a new actor in the role. Shawn will find his way back to Belle and Claire but do it in the usual circuitous route of Shawn Brady. Part of that will involve a former prostitute named Willow. He will also get involved with EJ at a time when Wells is coming under suspicion for being the black glove criminal.

That story may tie in with Stefano.

Action will pick up and the stories will make more sense.

"For me it's about telling the story in a logical way where a lot of things happen, the story moves fast and the characters remain who they are and don't arbitrarily start acting in some other way just to justify a plot move. I also want to reinvest in the families and the romances and remind people why they're so important to us." says Sheffer.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow...what a concept! I...I...I'm just so excited! And scared!

I haven't been this excited about a show since...well...AMC, 2 years ago.

Thanks Terri!

P.S. And there is NO mention of MeMe or a recast! *throws confetti*

• Members

I'm a little surprised that Hogan comes across as being so couples-centric. It does not seem compatible with what I have read about him or his writing. I know he said he was going to adapt his writing style to DAYS but being told for so long by other posters that he is "not a supercouple writer", these comments come as a surprise (though not an unpleasant one).

Apart from the continued Shelle pimping, it all sounds great.

• Members

Sounds great. He really is saying all the right things.

I agree with Ponz-it is surprising him being so couple-centric but I suspect he knows that he has to at Days to succeed. One thing he does is study a show and it's history so if he did that that explains why he wants to focus on the couples.

I love that he said he isn't going to have people acting out of character to suit a plot. That is great news.

• Members

Aaa, come on! Feel the Shelle love slowly building for this couple! :lol::lol:

Seriously, Hogan was not much for couples-centric writing until he saw Jack and Carly on ATWT. That's when he admitted he got it, he saw how much chemistry Maura West and Michael Park had.

• Members
I have to admit... I feel the same way. Everything sounds good as "always". Patch & Kayla, Lumi, Bope, Shelle, a recast for Philip...

I like the fact that he's not putting Shelle together right away. That would be too easy.

I'm glad Marlena will change. I'm so sick and tired of her being the victim all the time.

..."telling the story in a logical way"... He said it before but I'm so glad to hear it again!!!

• Members

I'm starting to root for Shelle again, now that we have a Shawn that actually looks age appropriate next to Martha, and one that can deliver the goods, acting wise. Jason looked like Martha's younger brother, not her ex-boyfriend.

I hope Mimi is not recast---at least not for a few years. FF's acting turned me off to the character. Although she is not part of a core family by blood, and we do need those on DAYS, I think she should stay off the canvas for a long time until they will get a stronger recast, and one with a voice that doesn't sound like a mall brat that is upset because the sale at The Limited is over.

Shawn's involvement with EJ sounds interesting. I hope Sheffer and his new writers will continue more interaction between different characters. Reilly had everyone isolated in their own bubbles, it's great to see more people sharing scenes together.

Archived