AMC: Filming style staying for good?

• Members

From the recap of Walt Willey's comedy event (see the spoiler section for the apparent uncasting news from that), Walt told the audience that the new filming style is not going anywhere *no matter what*

Now I like it but I know most don't and I think that's a horrible position TPTB to take. Clearly they do not care about the fans.

And apparently Walt defended Jack's position in the Jon/Lily story (although not the way Megan went about it per se) and got booed!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I completely disagree. I think the film look is going to be REVOLUTIONARY for this show, as a mainstay. After all, it's not 'the look' itself that is pissing off fans (well, most of them). It's the sometimes poor execution of that look. And if AMC can get it right, the 'film look' will no doubt compensate for poor lighting and cheap sets. Actually, that's why I started tuning back into AMC; as SOON as I heard about the film look I had to see for myself and, sure enough, it drew me in to the stories. I especially enjoy, for the first time ever, being able to LITERALLY follow the characters of Pine Valley through their emotional journeys -- something that can only be achieved with the handheld cameras.

This is an excellent decision, AMC, and I'm so glad you guys decided to keep it. Just perfect that craft and I'm sure the other viewers will turn around. :)

• Members

I agree. And I think some directors/cameramen have it mastered better than others because sometimes there are no shakies at all.

I think we're part of a minority though.

Regardless of me liking the style, I'm not down with the "screw the fans" attitude of TPTB. The majority of the response has been negative but...like with Josh....they think they can wait it out.

• Members

I disagree, Agnes. The #1 comment I've seen is hating the shakes, not the film look (although many fans seem to have lumped the two together, perhaps not realizing that they're actually criticizing the shakes and not the film look). For instance, they just say, "Oh, I hate this new look! " Or, 'It looks awful!' when they're most likely talking about the shakes since NO WAY can a 'filmed' look HINDER the show's aesthetic appeal.

• Members

I LOVE the new look. I don't want them going back. The shakes will be gone soon enough...

I am surprised more people don't like the new look though - since everyone talks about how cheap the ABC shows look. I think this makes the show look way more sophisticated.

• Members

Hmmm. I don't like that attutde from TPTB either. Even though I don't mind the film look. Although I do think a look like this(including camera shakiness and tilting) is better suited for a more urban soap like ONE LIFE TO LIVE. In all honesty, I can see a busy look like this working for such a dark soap like OLTL. Maybe it will be something that all three ABC soaps will begin doing.

It makes the shows look more primetime, and with them airing on SOAPnet, it may appear to Frons and Co. that the show looking like this will compete with everything else going on in primetime(especially MyNetworkTV, which was made on a shoestring budget, but in the previews doesn't LOOK like it was made on a shoestring budget). And if Julie Hanan Carruthers believes this look is cheaper to produce than the standard "soap look," then I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

• Members

"AMC" wins the technicals because they go all out for special events. The year they won 7 (!) was because they submitted the waterfall episodes for the tech. awards and Brooke's costume ball for the craft awards. They will definitely be picking up more for the Mardi Gras explosion. I can't say I agree with it since they aren't consistent all year-round, but it's not a 'mystery' to why they win them because they have good tapes to send in.

I don't want to contradict Walt, because he is after all an actor on "AMC," and is in there interacting with the producers, but maybe he hasn't learned/heard the latest. ABC unveiled the new look to try to impress the MTV generation. They conducted several surveys and focus groups (of course, these 'groups' did not include females over the age of 35) and the new 'look' did not test well. The fact that they are conducting research tells me they are not 'dead set' in this new look, and are listening to response.

Of course, ABC using their faithful focus groups as 'response' tools. Sigh. Just open your damn mailboxes.

I don't think soaps should be scared away by this 'new format,' though. Primetime TV is moving in this direction - more shakiness, handheld camera style with more of a documentary feel. I know daytime TV shouldn't try to mimic primetime TV, but it's the way all media is heading it seems, in a way.

I don't mind the new look.

But I wouldn't say it's staying for sure.

Especially since daytime PTB - every last one of 'em - are fickle. Rarely is anything 'certain' with them.

Archived