Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Devon alone (and with Hilary as a couple) had alot of potential to be something for the show other than their attempt to reinvent Neil. But with all things black characters related, they could NOT get away from the formula from the 90s. He's about ruined. Much like Dru with neil, Hilary has become better without Devon in less than 2 weeks. Poor BJ. I suspect he will be forgotten and backburned again before long. Cause this crap with Mariah is a dud and everyone knows it. And no way the show hasn't realized Hilary is better on her own. More potential for story without him. 

+1

As I said above. The show just can't get away from reinventing the success of the 90's with their young black cast. 

Devon should be dating models and doing drugs or some mess. Not playing the magical negro for Mariah. 

• Members

Why wouldn't Victor just blast Abby and force the truth out of her? It makes no sense to hire Scott to find out when he could just show Abby the frickin cashed check. Just stupid. 

The hockey debacle was so poorly executed. Why wouldn't Cane get some blame from the beginning? And then we had to pretend Juliet became incompetent all of a sudden because she said the league gave permission to use the footage and then said she wasn't sure and then said they didn't . Ugh. 

Also, the entire campaign is absurd since the hockey season ends in a couple weeks. 

Add me to the list of those who hate Tessa. i want her gone. There's no chemistry with Noah and the girl is not a good actress. Nikki shouldn't be written like an idiot to make a story work. 

And are we almost done looking at Lily's billboard? My God. 

• Members

I am glad I am not the only one that sees they are using the 90s model with Black characters today. Hilary is Dru, Lily is Olivia, Devon is Neil, and Jordan is Malcolm. 

I hate how once again Black characters are given tropes instead of being seen as individuals and blazing their own trails. Devon losing that grit he had when he originally came on has been the most detrimental thing to happen to that character. Again, Devon getting money from Katherine should've had him revert to his bad boy, chaotic ways. The playboy story that they are giving Billy is the story that Devon should be having. 

Devon should be a mess a la the Hilton kids with all that access to money. That should be his story. Instead, they have him playing it safe and being docile and stiff. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Well, I think they do have him being more aggressive than Neil ever was. But that's cause they have to. With all his money, he just can't be working for Newmans and abbots. They have the sense to not even try it. But they've already started everyone saying how he's a "good man". No matter what happens, his intentions are always good. Now would it kill them to have Devon ONLY dating Mariah to hurt hilary? The romance is unbelievable anyway. Or have her wearing Hilary clothes to get back at Hilary? Instead they have him actually truly liking that girl and playing innocent and altruistic. They've taking what could make him interesting and just shoved it under the rug.

I'm telling you, if Hevon doesn't get back together before long, they are going to forget about Devon and he will slowly fade into the background.  Only thing that'll keep him somewhat relevant is them knowing Hilary needs an anchor and he's all they are willing to use.

I noticed that despite viewers wanting Devon and Neil to own a company and be power players, that story has so little buzz. I think they wanted Devon and Hilary doing their own things for a good while before putting them back heavily in each other's orbit but they might have to throw her in Hamilton Winters story to give it oomph like they are doing with Brash and sassy and Cane/Juliet. 

• Members

I said awhile  ago that Hilary was the new Sharon. Even down to being thrown under the bus to prop Devon's new failed romance. That definitely won't float without her as the heavy. And even then, they'll only muster luke warm responses. Neil and Devon, both salt of the earth good guys together, on the up and up in business? Recipe for insomnia. They need to start disagreeing on fundamentals soon or all interest with be gone. But instead of doing that, they'll throw Hilary in between them to cause problems. 

• Members

This would've been a perfect time to SORAS Moses but current Y&R can't handle three individual Black male characters so they'd definitely wouldn't know what to do with FOUR (which is why I'm glad Nate remains off canvas).

• Members

Sadly, I agree. Jordan serves no purpose really other than someone for Lily and Hilary to fight over that they both can sleep with. Nate, Moses, Devon, nor Neil can do this. As long as Nate and Moses remain related to Lily, they'll stay offscreen. So no worries there lol

And they aren't doing a thing with Neil. He's playing supporting to Devon. But with buzz so low, not sure how long they'll allow Devon to lead it. Not that Neil has potential to get better buzz. He doesn't. But they still see him from the 90's lens when he was in more popular stories. 

• Members

OC, if the VERY revealing promo pans out, Hilary is going to be blamed and solely responsible for 'breaking Lily's heart' and 'destroying Lily's innocent children.' The guilty parties will be victims of a cruel, ruthless and narcissistic Hilary. Neil, Devon, Cassiah (sadly) and, probably, Aunt Jackee will be lining up to spew their own bit of sanctimonious lecturing before we're done. If anyone believes it will play out differently, feel free to correct me.  

Oh, and the REAL Mariah, would defend Hilary by telling Lily: "Wake up, Twiggy, your husband and co-worker have been making a fool of you daily. You should thank Hilary.'

• Members

I don't know. It could go either way here. The show has made sure that viewers root for Hilary by ensuring that Cane deserves comeuppance.  And of course, Lily is always in hilary's face talking smack plus she mocked her for Hevon's divorce so she deserves it too. But those recently soras'd teens don't. 

They could easily write it as characters thinking Hilary is doing lily a favor. If it was Mariah, every character and their momma would be praising her as the conquering heroine. Rah rah Women and all that.  Unfortunately, writers enjoy  having everyone (but Jack)  hate Hilary. So I'm fairly certain your assessment is current. Hilary, the messenger, will be shot.  She will be the scapegoat for the entire story. 

• Members

Hilary was great in LA this past week. So much better. And I like seeing David Faustino. Hilary and Lily being catty with each other is so much better than Hilary vs. Mariah.

Victoria and Phyllis are pathetic panting after Billy. I do like devious Cane. Much better. 

Dont care for Victor suddenly mistrusting Abby. And Scott sure became a sour douchebag. Sharon Case is looking so refreshed and happy. Sharon is in such a better place. It was nice to see the Bug make an appearance.

Neil remains an extra in the business story. I liked Devon and Abby sharing scenes again. They'd work much better than his pairing with Mariah.

Zzzz to Nick and Chelsea. The writing has been on the wall for them since the start. Adam won't suddenly make Chelsea interesting or have a purpose on the show. I like MCE when she's given meaty things to play but man. Chelsea is snoozeville. I have to laugh that Chloe remains a focus of a story and she isn't even on the canvas. I'd rather watch Chloe than Chelsea.

Jurys out for me on Jack/Ashley/Dina. I like that Jack's pissy attitude seems to be going away. I liked his scenes with Nikki and Abby.

I like Tessa/Nikki but I seem to be in the minority.

Just some general thoughts on the week.

Archived