Y&R: February 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If that's the case, I don't even know who on Earth they have to move her on to.... All the men the show considers hot are busy with many other things.... Actually, nevermind, I think I answered my own question. ph34r.png Ew.

• Members

Tognoni has been one of the rare bright spots on this show, aside from Hartley. Tracey Bregman rarely gets to do anything worthwhile, and we're reduced to watching Heinle, Carrigan, Jenkins, Sullivan, Burton and Collins eat up the show. Scott Elrod is decent, but in the wrong storyline. Camryn Grimes has been sadly reduced to doing nothing for months now, and Sharon Case doesn't get enough airtime either, IMO of course.

And what can we say about Eileen Davidson returning to appear in an average of 5 episodes a month? Meh.

• Members

In my experience, Gina Tognoni is an incredible talent who flounders onscreen without a well-defined character or a solid story plan. If you try to just throw her at men at random for chemistry tests she might spark something, sure, but the chemistry doesn't ignite unless there is a clear direction. They tried to just improvise wildly with her on OLTL in 2010-2011 and it was an unending disaster. I have no doubt she could do very well with any number of the show's men, but I think they have a very good foundation with the preexisting popularity of Jack and Phyllis and her chemistry with Peter Bergman and the drama they create. I wouldn't be so quick to discard that in order to launch her towards, say, Justin Hartley (who I think she'd look old next to). They need to let this percolate and then, in time, organically, see what develops with another man.

So many of the existing men on this show are disposable, though. Sean Carrigan still seems like they hired someone's friend off the street. Scott Elrod is literally made of wood and shoe polish. Austin is beautiful and usable but relatively pointless beyond beefcake story. Robert Adamson is fine but not allowed to have a story or a sex drive. Greg Rikaart does not exist in my life. Daniel Goddard, same. Steve Burton is a constant debacle. And Wack Jagner seems like he can and should be fired any day.

• Members

I'll say this for them, they've already let Jack and Phyllis stand for longer than I thought they would.

I don't like a lot of the ridiculous words the online left likes to come up with, but "mansplaining" is exactly what Kevin does with every 'feisty' woman he is involved with. The story and scenes are always the same - tough, troubled young woman causes a fuss, and rugged heterosexual sweater-vested blogger Kevin arrives to mansplain their issues to them, wag his finger and then write a My Little Pony fanfic roman à clef about his feelings for her. I wish he was dead.

• Members

I'm not complaining about the material, I just think this version of the pairing is mismatched. I used to like Jack, but over the last year or two, I'm just over the character.

Also, I'm not necessarily rooting for Phyllis/Adam, but I'd rather see GT look "old" dry.png with a guy 5 years younger than herself than be with Jack who is 20 years older. Sorry, but he's well past what I consider a good love interest. Not even so much because of age, but because of all the floundering that character has done in his love life. Although to be honest, if I never see him in another love scene, I'm good with that too.

• Members

Why does it have to do with being white? Colin is HIS father & Colin was messing things up, why shouldn't he be the one to take care of things with his own dad? Just because Devon INHERITED money does not make him a master negotiator, a brilliant businessman, or smarter than anyone else his age. He's supposed to be head of the family, or like Victor, simply because he's wealthy and black? It took decades for Victor to get where he is. Victor was not TGVN in his twenties, and it took him decades to build his OWN family, he didn't get instant rights to someone elses family.

What's insulting to me is that the Chancellor clan formed around the rivalry. then relationship, between Jill & Kay. Many husbands, offspring, and relationships, were added through the 40 year saga but somehow since Devon was added in the final hour everything about anything Chancellor has to do with race? The most important of the "Chancellor clan offspring" so far was Phillip III story wise, and he wasn't even Kay's blood. Kay's other blood relative's barely rate. Brock and Mac, ( not to mention her baby Dylan) aren't as important as Devon. Devon is not being crowded out by white people.

Why shouldn't Devon help Jill? Jill is the one who dreamed of owning and running Chancellor Industries. She dreamed of having everything Kay had back in 1973. But now Devon and/or Neil are supposed to ALL THE SUDDEN have the dream of running & owning everything Kay realated because Katherine gave him a huge amount of money?? When Devon did have a passion it was music, not business. Why should Devon all the sudden get Jill's 40 years of passion?

I see plenty of complaining about Dylan being added to Nikki/Paul & the Newman family & that seems to be OK. But if anybody complains about Katherine's life, or assets, being anything other than all about Devon it's racist? All the characters Kay actually spent her life and story lines with are supposed to be second to Devon? Kay's life was never about her white children or grandchildren when she was alive, why should her death be all about ONE grandchild named Devon?

And why aren't we asking why Dylan doesn't get money from Nikki to buy himself a huge company? Probably because, just like Devon, neither of them have EVER had that desire.

• Members

You make good points, however I think when so many actors are not compelling or root-able which imo is true of most of Y&R characters right now with very few exceptions, the blame has to fall on the story writing and maybe even the dialog writing. The show has had a few bight spots lately but overall it's been boring at best and annoying as hell at worst.

• Members

This.

That's also what I'm disagreeing with. I think they are very well matched and have wonderful chemistry. They are one of the few couples on the show that works and whose love is believable. They might even be the only one, besides Victor and Nikki (who have been decimated horribly).

• Members

The issue is not one of chemistry. GT could potentially have that with many people. The problem is that there is no one appropriate/acceptable/desirable on canvas for her to be with, other than Jack. There is just no good match for her. Getting back with Nick? Or something with Billy, Ben? Disgusting. And her and Adam together? God save us all from the insanity those two together would unleash on us. And let's not even touch the useless drama it would bring for Phyllis to get with her daughter's husband. Noah on the other hand is perhaps the only exception ... now maybe that could work, with somebody stronger playing him.

Add on top of that what you've already said about the actors playing all these men... the show severely needs help with that. Even if they brought in someone new, I doubt they would write them well, so it's a moot point.

• Members

I think with the right Billy, or yes, with JH's Adam, she could do well. (I think sometimes they light or make Gina up poorly, and yes, she can look hard and more severe or older easily - she's a beautiful woman.) Or any number of men new or preexisting. Right now I am good with them taking their time with Jack and then seeing what can develop with someone else.

Of course they won't be doing that - I suspect they'll try to force her with Big Steve. That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I wouldn't mind a cougar thing with Noah, just a fling, but they wouldn't do it.

• Members
Yes to all of this.

These courtroom scenes were boring. I know they want to pick up the pace, and I'm not a fan of this particular story, but there's no drama in interlacing testimony and only giving each character 4 sentences to "testify" to. Avery badgering Mariah was just pathetic.

JH was the bright spot.

Anyone else think the camera work has changed over the last couple weeks?

I like the Phyllis/Noah idea, yall.

Archived