Netflix: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Administrator

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Discussion Thread

UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT – After 15 years of living in a cult, the unbreakable and wide-eyed Kimmy (Ellie Kemper, “The Office”) is rescued along with four other women, causing a national sensation that culminates with an appearance on the ”Today” show. Before getting back on the bus to Indiana, however, Kimmy decides it’s time to reclaim her life. Armed with just a backpack, light-up sneakers, a couple way-past-due library books and a big wad of rescue-fund cash, she’s ready to take on New York City. It’s easily the best time of Kimmy’s life as she rides subways, plays with street performers, frees Central Park horses and makes a spontaneous decision to rent a room from Titus, a gay wannabe Broadway actor who makes a living dressing as a robot in Times Square. This unlikely pairing may not seem ideal, but it quickly becomes clear that they can really help each other out: Kimmy needs someone to reintroduce her to the modern world, and Titus could use someone to show him that you should never give up on life, no matter how many times you get rejected from performing in “The Lion King.” As long as they stick together… they might just make it after all. Hakuna matata!

The cast also includes Tituss Burgess, Sara Chase and Lauren Adams. Writers Tina Fey (“30 Rock”) and Robert Carlock (“30 Rock”) serve as executive producers with David Miner (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”) and Jeff Richmond (“30 Rock”). “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” is a production of Universal Television, Little Stranger Inc. and 3 Arts Entertainment.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Definitely. You have the lead heroine, the family and (childhood) friends she's struggling to re-connect with, perhaps some fellow refugees from the cult fighting with/running from "true believers" who are attempting to restart it (that is, if the cult was dismantled by the gov't.)...and maybe even a gov't agent/potential love interest who keeps trying to get at her for information she still possesses about the cult and its leaders (in tandem with his superiors at his FBI/CIA/DEA/ATF/whatever branch)...and a cult-within-a-cult with shadowy and nefarious purposes, who won't stop at anything -- including hiring an assassin to kill the girl -- to keep their secrets secret.

I mean, this could be a massive, serpentine kind of series that plays on many layers. Instead, it's "Will & Grace" meets "Big Love," or something, and I don't know if I can get behind that.

• Administrator

I was already sold on this show because of Tina Fey and Robert Carlock! I also like Jane Krakowski and Ellie Kemper.

Since it's a sitcom, the cult probably wasn't a very-serious kind of cult. It could've been a weird/funny cult. lol

• 6 months later...
  • Members

So looks like NBC has dumped this show and sold it to Netflix, which they guarantee 2 seasons out of it.

Like a said before, developing a comedy now a days on network tv is hard, they all tend to fail.

Good for Netflix though, probably be better on it than NBC.

• Members

The real question is, are sitcoms in trouble? The last few years pretty much they all get canceled to quickly due to low ratings.

Cbs is in trouble as well, what they going to do when the Big Bang starts to decline and goes off the air? All these new ones they put out get canceled.

The ratings for many sitcoms are so bad, 3 million compared to when Friends and others were doing 25 and plus in the ratings back in the day. I can see why these networks are focusing more on dramas, they still do pretty good in the ratings.

Archived