Stories that you feel personally flopped and could've been better....

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't remember it ever being absurdly done on AW, although I'm sure viewers in 1975 weren't overjoyed with Michael and Marianne Randolph aging 0-360.

AW was lucky, because most of the kids who were aged the quickest were from Ada/Rachel/Mac, who could believably play parents of adult children.

• Members

For every ridiculous Days example I think of, I stop and realize I can think of another that's even worse. I haven't been able to top the 1-2 punch of David Banning and Scotty Banning in the last few minutes, though.

When you factor in the de-SORASing that's happened on a few occasions, it's like acid. Abby, Nikki Manning.

• Members

I think that deSORASing annoys me more than SOARSing does. One that comes across my mind is Daisy (aka Susan Lemay) on Guiding Light. I felt like Killer Kreizman choosing to do this, so ruined the character of Daisy and all her relationships. We saw her grow up and transition from a young, troublesome teen with Brittany Murphy in the role, and for her to return as a troublesome teen (again) was just stupid. If the show was in desperate need of a young leading lady, why not focus on Leah Bauer? Or age Clarissa or Hope (Santos)?

I felt like Lizzie and Daisy should've switched age spots with Daisy being the middle aged adult and Lizzie being the young adult. And it didn't help that Daisy ended the series shacking up with her once upon a time stepbrother, who was named after her adoptive father, Jim Lemay.

• Members

I think you mean Brittany Snow.

But yeah, I don't believe any soap has used it responsibly. They've all had major f!ck-ups, and it's a shame because SORAS just. isn't. necessary. Period. If you didn't SORAS, you'd still have all of the important age groups represented. More important, people would actually be age-appropriate to their characters, and there wouldn't be the needlessly muddy question of how old certain characters are supposed to be. Thanks to SORAS and de-SORAS, at one point, Erica Kane's canon birth year was 1962! It's just a huge bother that could always be avoided.

• Members

Not so much stories exactly but I remember on OLTL in early 2010 when Rachel, Schuyler, Fish, and Kyle were all written out so abruptly. The exits could have been handled much better. Rachel didn't even get an exit at all. Schuyler was sacrificed on the altar of Ronnie Carlivati's precious Gex (awful Rex/Gigi), ugh! Fish and Kyle ended up with a baby but they were written out so abruptly and their actors were blamed for the soap's shortcomings and ratings tanking. There were other characters and actors at that time who I think played a much bigger part in OLTL's ratings tanking around that time. And there was also no real custody battle.

• Members

It was March 2010, and this is exactly why I quit watching the show and never looked back. I was just absolutely fed up. The show had a wealth of different, diverse characters that they could have told great stories with, but they dropped them all (or sidelined them until the actors left) in favor Gigi, Rex, Stacy, and various Fords. It still makes me sick.

• Members

You know, I get where everyone's coming from in regards to Rachel, Schuyler, Fish, Kyle and everyone else that OLTL dropped around that time...but I personally don't think it was all that great of a loss. Know what I mean? And I'm not saying I was a fan of Gigi, Rex, Stacy, or the Ford family either. I think that group was just as boring, if for different reasons.

• Members

In terms of de-SORASing, I thought Laura English was an awful use of that tactic. We saw her in high school, she graduated, she left town. A mere year or two later, she was back, played by a different actress, and she was in high school AGAIN so she could interact with Bianca, who herself had been SORAS'd and de-SORAS'ed throughout the 90s.

Bianca's age change bothered me a lot. She was born in February 1988 on screen, and by 1990 was supposed to be at least four years old. Throughout most of the 90s, she was somewhere around elementary school age, which was laughable by 1996 because the actress playing her (Gina Gallagher) clearly had gone through puberty and looked like a teenager. Yet in early 2000, Erica, in conversation with then-boyfriend David, refers to Bianca as being 12 - which was how old she should have been if they'd never SORAS'ed her. A few months later, Eden Riegel is playing Bianca as 16, which was how old she should have been based on her age in 1990. By 2003, Bianca is still played by Riegel, but is apparently old enough to raise a child on her own and thinks it's plausible that she could leave town while pregnant and return with a baby and pretend it was adopted and no one will question her. She was supposed to be about 19 at the time! Yet everyone was playing as if she - and JR Chandler who was born onscreen AFTER Bianca - were in their early to mid-20s at this point.

• Members

If we go with current storylines (or in that case non-storyline) I think the Felix/Brad/lucas storyline is about to flop or already is. And as much as i despise felix, its not becuz of him. Its not about either of the gay characters but due to the lack of focus on where all three are going.

They had a year and a half to make felix anything but my little poney's ass wiper yet he got stuck in the fairy godmother mode for most of his stint and nothing was done to develop the character.

They lucked out with Parry shen who brought a lot to a non-character and at least to me became root-worthy and PS and RyC actually have decent chemistry and seem able to conjure a minimal sexual energy that is needed for any couple gay or straight to survive.

Lucas is the son of a legacy couple and longtime viewers (anyone who started watching more than 10 years) have watched his struggle (as badly written as it was) to become this confident man unafraid to go after what he wants but not completly selfish.

But the show is starting and stopping the storyline in a way that its anyones guess who we re supposed to invest in.

If felix is inserted as a foil or as the rootworthy element in that storyline i think it would be a big mistake. Felix has yet to generate any chemistry either with brad or lucas is MS is too asexual to build on that.

I could tolerate him as the. Supportive friend who along the way become more self-assured about himself and finally give himself a chance at love in time. But i see a greater appeal with Brad and Lucas.

• Members

How is my post any more irrelevent than any other on this thread Cassadine. This thread is about storyline we didnt feel was well written so yeah I made one about the most recent one that comes to mind.

Feel free to disregard it or any other i will make in the future if it is not to your liking.

I will be more than happy to disregard any of yours from now on..

Have a nice day.

Archived