Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Why do you like Daytime??

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 allmc2008

allmc2008

Sexy and I know it!!

• Members
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

The other day I was trying to figure out why I like Daytime so much. I noticed that with Primetime you are constrained to one Genre. You can't have Law and Order do a story Grimm does. With daytime, you can have one story about medicine, another about family, another about law, and the other about Time-Travel. I also like that they run daily.

So why do all of yall like Daytime?

#2 Golden Duck

Golden Duck

You need me. That's why you rang again!

• Members
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

The drama. I've always loved dramas.

#3 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Honestly? I grew up on it. If not I doubt I'd be into it.

#4 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I love the idea of watching a brand new piece of scripted television when the sun is shining at its brightest.

#5 Golden Duck

Golden Duck

You need me. That's why you rang again!

• Members
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Oh, and the hot guys.

Guys on soaps are just hotter to me than the ones on primetime.

#6 beebs

beebs

Contract

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

One reason and one reason alone:

Basically, if my mother and grandmother didn't watch, I would've given up on it years ago and never looked back.

Edited by beebs, 19 January 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#7 alexisfan07

alexisfan07

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

I'm not sure if it's that I like them so much as I'm sure they fill some sort of void in my emotional damages and whatnot, the characters always being there to enjoy even when your friends are assholes. Just being honest LOL. I do enjoy them though for the most part but I probably wouldn't be so into them if I hadn't started at like 14.

#8 Pine Charles

Pine Charles

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

Bitchy women + Hot men

#9 Mr. Vixen

Mr. Vixen

The Truth Cannon

• Members
  • 12,381 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Well first and foremost, I grew up with it. But I was always captivated by the drama, the love, and the VIXENS!

#10 dmarex

dmarex

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

When I was a child, it captivated my attention with all the silly plots, the belief in 'eternal love' and similar [!@#$%^&*] (see Sunset Beach).

Then during my teenage years, it fit perfectly for some time, while I was going through a dark period (see The Young and the Restless).

And now? Mostly just to pass time. (once again, The Young and the Restless).

#11 JtSmarts

JtSmarts

Recurring

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Honestly? I grew up on it. If not I doubt I'd be into it.

#12 Susan Hunter

Susan Hunter

Recurring

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

In no other broadcast medium can you follow a character's journey from birth to 'death' in almost real time.  For example, I remember when Sami and Eric were born.  I remember when Stefano kidnapped them.   I remember when Sami returned to Salem when she was 15.  When she saw John and Marlena on the conference room table and so on....

Movies and primetime are great, but  I don't feel you get as intimately involved with the characters' lives as you do in daytime. 

#13 AdelaideCate007

AdelaideCate007

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Because I grew up watching them, and when you've been watching since you can remember, you get invested in them.

I doubt I would have started watching on my own.

#14 partyperson25

partyperson25

"I want my Tracy back..."

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Good question.Everything. I mean most can relate to it,others are just plain hooked. But me,I grew up with it,I can relate to it,it got me hooked,I have something to look forward to every weekday,and anything anyone else can come up with happy.png

#15 Pine Charles

Pine Charles

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Well, my first reply was a tad in jest.  Even though I do love the bitches and sexy men (tongue.png), I have to agree that the characters almost become like old friends/family members; it's definitely a comfort to watch and "visit" them. 

#16 jfung79

jfung79

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

My reasons are a combination of several already listed.  I like characters I can relate to, the sense of family and community, cliffhangers, the chance to truly explore character and develop story by playing out over a long time period daily, the interplay between stories/different genres, and the craft that goes into good soap writing.  Attractive people don't hurt but they would not grab me without these other elements.  I could never stomach Sunset Beach or Passions for more than an episode or two.

Edited by jfung79, 19 January 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#17 partyperson25

partyperson25

"I want my Tracy back..."

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Well, my first reply was a tad in jest.  Even though I do love the bitches and sexy men (tongue.png), I have to agree that the characters almost become like old friends/family members; it's definitely a comfort to watch and "visit" them. 

My reasons are a combination of several already listed.  I like characters I can relate to, the sense of family and community, cliffhangers, the chance to truly explore character and develop story by playing out over a long time period daily, the interplay between stories/different genres, and the craft that goes into good soap writing.  Attractive people don't hurt but they would not grab me without these other elements.  I could never stomach Sunset Beach or Passions for more than an episode or two.

Agreed

#18 Cat

Cat

Hiro Mizushima

• Members
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

The continuing story. The cliffhangers. The crazy rich people and their "problems." The catfights. The glorious diva bitches. And some beautiful love stories.

...Once upon a time.

#19 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,377 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Exactly.  I remember when I first moved to Montreal--and my only sense of family was watching AMC and OLTL everyday (or whenever I could--I didn't have a TV for a while and this was just a year or two before youtube and online viewing--I did have a few exceptionally kind friends who I think found it amusing to invite me between classes to hang out at their apartment over lunch and watch AMC which none ofthem "got"--but they all knew how much it meant to me). 

I do find the sense of history genuinely appealing--and the type of stories that at their best soaps can tell in a way no other shows can.  I admit, there's also genuinely just a sense of "comfort" food there--which is prob why when OLTL was canceled I moved on to GH so easily.  I never had the history of mothers/grandmothers (or fathers) watching soaps--in fact it was kinda looked down upon by my family although once I became hooked on AMC when I was 11 one Summer vacation, I found out that my mom was a huge Edge of Night fan the year she was home with my brother as a baby in the 70s, and that my grandma had memories of listening to Ma Perkings, Guiding Light and Right to Happiness on the radio.

#20 Gray Bunny

Gray Bunny

Me & The Slut of Springfield

• Members
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Oh, and the hot guys.

Guys on soaps are just hotter to me than the ones on primetime.

Speaking of which, don't you find it more titilating when you see a soap hunk without a shirt on *because* of that fact that we see them day after day, year after year, as opposed to some random model with a perfect physique?

I love the continuing drama, and seeing the same characters year in and year out going through various tragedies and triumphs of life. I started watching serialized dramas at the age of 7 (Beverly Hills 90210, Sisters, then later Melrose Place, etc.) and the best payoff is watching a storyline that's well-planned and laid out and there is clearly an endpoint in mind, but you love watching the characters get to that point. I love the sense of history, and the characters and situations that came and went in the past... when I first started watching DAYS, I *loved* learning new things about the show's past... i.e. I was SHOCKED to learn that Marlena had a real-life twin sister and was SHOCKED that Marlena had been on the show for nearly 20 years, because I thought she was only in her late 30's, not pushing 50! I think that's part of the fun in getting into a soap that's new to you but been on for years, because you learn delicious new facts along the way.

I love my divas. There's very few leading men I watch for and always root for (like Peter Reckell's Bo and Robert Newman's Josh) but I have a laundry list full of favorite divas! smile.png

Edited by Gray Bunny, 23 January 2013 - 04:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users