Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

When the last scene of last night's ep started, I was thinking "Who the heck is in hospital?" Ha ha. I actually punched the air when Ross showed up -  that was the best reveal in ages. 

And skanky Debbie is reaping what she sowed, hyperventilating all over the place. Good! 

I'm also surprised at how much I'm enjoying the reunited Emma and James - she genuinely looked like she'd just had a great shag in one of the earlier scenes. She was glowing!

And the Sam/Rachel domestic violence stuff is really compelling and realistic. This show is on fire.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Emmerdale was good again tonight. I loved the confrontation between Ross and Pete, but I feel like my boo (Ross) is playing nice with Pete until he undermines him again. Plus, I am glad that nobody told Debbie that Ross is alive. I don't wanna see that 'black widow' anywhere near my man. 

Now Emma.... that heffa has gained my allegiance over the past couple of weeks. She stays dogging Debbie the slag off and I am ALL for it. She needs a gold medal for it. I am glad that the entire Barton clan aren't allowing Pete 'the angel' to get away with his crimes.

How many years has Sam had the same story? I'm somewhat over Sam being the protector and guardian of all the wronged pregnant women in the village. I do like the chemistry that he has with Megan though. 

Poor Eric. I hate to see him shut people that love him out of his life. Especially now. And David should ease up on Amy not being able to come back to the funeral. I think that Val would understand. 

• Members

I have a feeling they were venting with David because Chelsea Halfpenny is now on Casualty and couldn't come back to the show. 

I'll be so happy when this triangle is over. Debbie and Ross are just a black hole together. He and the nurse really had a spark.

Ross looks better with the curls - I wish they could keep them.

The acting is good but I can't take much more of this Bob prison story.

• Members

Oh! I didn't know that Chelsea Halfpenny was on Casualty. Good for her. I guess that does explain things. 

And did you notice that too?! The banter between Ross and the nurse was cute. Ross needs a woman that'll challenge him and possesses spark. Debbie has none of that. Cain or Charity usually clean up her mess. 

And yes, my boo does look so sexy with the curls. Maybe Pete needs to beat him into a pulp more so he can return to screen just as sexy as before. 

But what is this Bob story about? I usually FF through Bob's material as of late....

Were you watching a rerun, hun? If so, that'd explain things b/c Kirin ('your bae') wasn't on today. :D

• Members

Bob's cellmate is beating him and now threatening his wife in order to get Bob to get him stuff and now to get Harriet (who is supposed to testify against the man in court) to perjure herself on his behalf. Harriet told Bob she'd worked something out and will lie to the man, but Bob's sentencing is first, so she's hoping to find a way to get Bob out safely. 

It's just a depressing story, albeit well-acted. And I'm tired of all of them talking SO LOUDLY in the visiting area where anyone can hear, yet no one does.

So Ross wants revenge. It's a little contrived, but I'll accept it as long as he doesn't go after Finn. 

I really like the friendship between Megan and Sam. I've grown to like Megan a lot more lately. It's been a pleasant surprise.

• Members

Oh chile I done known my baby would cross the river Jordan to get back to me....he just likes playing these games.

I literally choked to death laughing when he "forgave" Pete. That was such classic great soap. And the best part is that the new, edgier Peter knew EXACTLY what this fool was doing! I loved how he even told Finn he's not falling for it.

Lol I can't wait to see Ross milk this out of his mom and dad. Speaking of James and Emma still GO IT. Please keep them together and make them strong. Chas and James never made any type of sense to me and Chas is just loud for no reason sometimes.

• Members

I know they have to do this for plot purposes and I know Andy would romanticize his relationship with Katie given that she died (after a big argument with him no less), but it would be nice if there was some type of mention from anyone else that Katie was not “chosen,” like a beauty pageant contestant. She wanted Robert and she loved Robert. That was her choice, and it was a relationship she craved.

The Andy/Katie relationship was toxic as hell, as it was repeatedly about Andy putting Katie on a pedestal and not knowing how to ever deal with her as a human being. 

Some of the 2007 episodes I’ve been uploading on my Youtube channel are just plain unpleasant to watch, as he is carrying on an affair with Jo right under Katie’s nose, while she is trying to help raise his daughter and work a demanding job. He’s rude to her, he cuts her off, he mocks her, all while dicking around with a woman who, in spite of being the “vixen,” repeatedly has more compassion and concern for Katie than he does. This all came full circle after Jo was run out of town by Andy’s fists, when he went to see “good” Katie, who had never fully believed “bad” Jo about Andy, because she couldn’t see Andy that way. Only when she questioned him and he nearly punched her did she realize just how lost he was at that point.

There’s a reason why Katie stayed away from Andy for nearly a decade. And again, I understand why they are painting this as a tragic lost love, but it’s making it difficult for me to care or feel sympathy when the writing doesn’t show the full picture.

Not even getting into Pete and Andy basically talking about their women like objects being stolen by bad brothers, when said woman is the mother of Andy’s children and someone he has a complicated history with, not just Pete’s girl.

Anyway, looks like Alicia's exit will be this week, later this week. I'm glad she will be leaving alive but I hope they won't trash her, or David.

I wish there were more character-driven moments and better pacing, because things just being offcamera until it's time to hamfist a reaction out of viewers is making it difficult for me to care (the Katie reveal and Aaron's sudden guilt return + Andy's bleating about Katie being the biggest issue).

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I enjoyed the funeral scenes for Val more than I'd expected. They were cheesy at times (especially Eric in the fields - I wonder how Chris Chittell felt about THAT script), but very true to Val, and I loved the whole Meatloaf impersonator and Pearl thinking he was really Meatloaf. Kerry hitting on the male strippers, Finn having a perv at them, the mourners alternately cringing and cheering "Maltloaf" on. It reminded me a lot of what Emmerdale was 5-6 years ago, before it disappeared up so much of its own backside. The speeches and the beautiful countryside helped too. And I was so pleasantly surprised with Matthew Wolfenden (David), who was the backbone of the episode. And such a pretty crier.

The Aaron and Andy scenes were lifeless and hollow, and the Lawrence story is just a sad old wheeze that like everything with Robert and Lawrence, yet again paints bisexual men in a seedy light, but most of that was easily ignored.

Edited by DRW50