DAYS: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

I just find it very random and very mean.  It never built into animosity or anger.  One day Alex just started being awful to Justin.  None of this is Justin's fault at all.  I mean, he might not be the best lawyer, but this all feels out of nowhere.  I just keep wondering what the hell is wrong with Alex.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Today was a long one. 44 minutes.

Good episode today. We got some really good character insight. Some people might find episodes like this boring, but I like them. Episodes like this provide an understanding as to why these characters act the way that they do and do the things that they do. The storytelling has become a lot more layered and that, to me is one of the best parts of the current episodes. 

I like how the idea of parenting and whether or not people were making mistakes or flat out failing as parents or step-parents was weaved into so many scenes today. It’s such a realistic dilemma that so many people must face. And I also enjoyed all the foreshadowing today. A lot of things that were brought up today can play into future story and I hope they do, especially the Eric/EJ dynamic.

I’m still impressed by the changes in EOB’s Theresa. Theresa’s finally acting like the mother that we’ve always been told that she is.

Chad/Alex was really good as well. I like that Alex finally had someone to talk to about how he’s been feeling lately. I hope we continue to see that. They’re finally giving his character more layers and chipping away at the facade that he puts on. And to me, it also seemed like they were implying that Alex is somewhat envious and sad that he’s never had the life or family that Chad has. Him playing a game with Chad and Thomas was nice to see. It always good to see characters just having fun. 

Btw, kids still play Monkey in the Middle?

Please register in order to view this content

And I’m looking forward to what may happen with Lucas. Not only is it time for him to get out of prison, it’s also time to end this crap with Clyde.

Again, I really hope people BTS are noticing how positive all the opinions about Days have been lately.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

So true! I'm much more into the interim writing General Hospital bad, but so far there has been improvement at Days of Our Lives, and I am hoping TPTB upstairs at Days of Our Lives are paying close attention, and make the necessary changes.

• Members

I get what you're saying about character development, but some of them are unrecognizable.  At Thanksgiving, Chad was dreaming about humiliating Everett, now they're buddies.  Chad took every opportunity to insult Alex, now they are playing in the park.  EJ was hiring hit people to kill Xander, now he's rationally talking about Eric hugging Nicole.   Next thing you know, EJ's going to get a crush on Gabi.

Also, lots of leaps in logic over Holly smoking the Devil's weed today.  Suddenly, Nicole is guilty that it is a cry for help, and EJ is re-thinking his legal strategy, simply because the gossip is that Holly smoked a little ganja?  There's got to be some balance between these 'just say no' sentiments and justifiable concerns about tainted prescription drugs being sold to kids.  It is just so odd that when Nicole thought Holly had a hangover, she was taking her out for a greasy breakfast, but learning that she smoked pot somehow means that she was a drug addict.

And, how long have Theresa and Brady been waiting around at the police station?  Tate went to prison, and got a black eye. Brady went to see Nicole, and bought some candy.  Meanwhile, Theresa's been sitting in the same room all week.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I read somewhere Ron C said May is when Days will kick in high gear...so doubtful.

I think part of the problem with soaps are the day to day episodes.  

The strike has shown that to be apparent since it appears as though the scab writers were basically left alone to write day to day episodes at GH and DAYs also.

How was Y & R and Bold during their strike episodes?

• Members

Day to day episodes help execute a vision a head writer has for a show and story.

I've noticed since the scab written episodes have started airing that we're getting more character moments, somewhat better pacing, and a bit more depth in how the plots are being carried out.

It doesn't Ron's ideas gold..but at least there seems to be more effort in making them less stupid..thus far.

• Members

Ron was referring to all the nonunion writers' episodes being done airing in April, and then his stuff starting to air in May.  He was simply promoting his own writing as being better than nonunion writing.  Nothing about kicking into high gear, just him claiming the show would be better.

Y&R has Josh Griffith who is both headwriter and executive producer. He fired most of his breakdown writers a few months *before* the writers strike began.
Griffith was has been nonunion since the 2007-2008 strike, so he simply kept on writing as usual.  The only change would have been some unknown nonunion scriptwriters, but he continued as headwriter.  Bottom line is that Y&R seems the same during strike as before & after.

B&B has Brad Bell who is both headwriter and executive producer as well as the owner of his show.
Bell remained in the union so didn't write during the strike.
However his ongoing associate headwriter went ficore in 2023, and continued writing as a nonunion writer during the strike, so there wasn't much change.  Especially with the EP remaining the same. 
B&B did have nonunion scriptwriters and nonunion breakdown writers, so you'd think there would have been changes, however any changes would have been
less noticeable since B&B is a 30-minute show
(episode length about 18 minutes plus commercials),
Plus B&B often repeats scenes/dialogue from episode to episode, so changes just not that noticeable.

The only real strike differences were in GH and DAYS.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

You mean you think it was an RC version of The Lord's Prayer? As opposed to a Protestant version?

I believe there is a difference in the wording of the ending. But, what difference does it make?

Anyway, I asked AI:

Yes, there is a difference between the Roman Catholic and Protestant versions of the Lord's Prayer. The main distinction lies in the wording of one particular line. In the traditional version used by Roman Catholics, the line is "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." In many Protestant versions, the wording is slightly different, often phrased as "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen."

The addition of the concluding part, also known as the doxology, is common in Protestant versions but is typically not included in the Roman Catholic version. The differences reflect historical and theological variations in how different Christian denominations interpret and recite the Lord's Prayer.

Edited by Donna L. Bridges