Days: February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm always surprised by the popularity of Eric and Nicole.

They've built appeal over time but they were pretty hated in '98. It wasn't til Nicole dumped Eric for money that fans fell in love with her.

Eric floundered and was written out but when they brought him back (with Greg Vaughan) years later they wrote it like Eric and Nicole were some great romance and suddenly people loved them.

I'm still trying to figure it out.

Edited by KLN

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think a huge part of it had to do with Nicole's standing at the time. They'd brought her back as a vixen-type, paired her with EJ (which was a popular pairing, but EJami was clearly the focal pairing there), and built this narrative about her desire to be a mother and essentially losing three children: the baby she miscarried, Sydney once the switch came out, and Daniel Rafael (BLEH) when she fell down the stairs. So there was a ton of rooting value, and she was primed for a redemption arc. GV's Eric showed up and felt like a handsome, decent man who was actually brought on *for* Nicole, but his standing as a priest and her self-destructive tendencies were their obstacles. It was a great setup, so I think it was more what Eric *represented* for Nicole than some actual great love for the past. She essentially had a chance, after 15 years of f*ck-ups, to reclaim the Good Thing that she'd tossed away for five million dollars a decade and a half prior.

The writing and comings-and-goings since obviously haven't landed all that potential nearly as well as it could have been handled, but I totally get where and how the myth of it all took root.

• Members

That makes sense.

Usually when they bring someone on for someone it backfires as fans don't like being told who to like. Interesting in this case it didn't since they weren't popular the first go 'round.

They've built appeal over time. I'm just surprised they're SUCH a draw after how things started for them.

Re: the part in bold that's why I didn't like Nicole judging Kristen the way she did before Kristen personally wronged her.

If you can't bond over traumatic miscarriages and passing stolen babies off as your own what CAN you bond over?

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by KLN

• Members

This is it. Eric and Nicole in their original iteration sucked, but the older and wiser version has always had appeal for me. It's the show and the writing that ruins those promising opportunities or runs them into the ground (as Nicole has been once again, not for her first time).

• Members

I'm not too familiar with their history as a newer viewer. I was never a Nicole fan but her acting has improved. I wasn't a fan of GV on GH but you can tell he's enjoying the material he's been given. The writing for them has been good. But now everything has just become repetitive. There has been no movement in their story. It's gotten stale. How many times does Eric have to sleep with lawyer by day and hooker by night because he gets upset seeing Nicole with someone else?

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

That would be fun to see

Please register in order to view this content

But at this point, anyone would do lol all this talk of Eric and Nicole, how about Sloan?

She could start to develop feelings for Eric, but then overhears him say that he still loves Nicole, so she has a one night stand with Tripp. And you could also weave Wendy/Johnny/Chanel into that storyline too 

Agreed.

And despite the current writing, Eric and Nicole’s storyline is still realIstic for the most part and that’s what makes it so good, IMO