How Core Families Die

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That AWHP article debunks some myths about the creation of AW but ironically at the end states

Fred Silverman, now ABC's president, hired Gloria Monty and gave her 13 weeks to turn things around or he would cancel GH. Monty came on board, hired Anthony Geary as Luke Spencer, and paired him with Genie Francis's Laura.

Reading that you would think that Luke arrived  in that 13 week period in early 78 and caused a rise in the ratings, when in fact it was Scotty/Laura and other stories that revived GH. Luke didn't arrive until 79.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Unpopular Opinion: I don't like when soaps become too family oriented. It just becomes very incestuous at times. That's why I love characters like Nicole. She can be a romantic wildcard because she's not related to everyone. I remember around 2005 the Brady's were dating in to he family, solely based on the fact that there were no characters in that group to mix it up with.

• Members

Exactly, they also have the issue that a lot of keeping all the Black characters in one bubble. It limits them, when they just play Winters Roulette.

Bold and the Beautiful is one of the WORST when it comes to this.

Edited by SteelCity

• Members

Nicole who? What Bradys? What show?

Whoa, that is seriously screwed up. You're right. The first thing that happened is that Monty threw out a whole week of tape & started up one week back in time. Doug Marland's writing was what was the first saving element. Monty inserted story references into the show from B movie classics. She picked up the pace & made changes in editing, etc. The Ice Princess (sf/f) & L&L on the run both came later.

• Members

Nathan, Olivia, Neil, Dru and Malcolm were the last generation to really mix things up freely with the other characters outside of their group dynamic. Before that, while you didn’t have very many Black characters, those who were on the canvas like Amy Lewis and her father Detective Frank Lewis, who mainly interacted with the Williams and Abbott families, Nathan and Phil Morris, who wasn’t given the best of storylines.

Please register in order to view this content

But I think after Victoria  Rowell, Tonya Lee Williams and Shemar Moore left, there was little to no effort to have the Winters really having storylines that branched out of their bubble. Even with Lily, other than romantic relationships there seemed to be minimal engagement in storylines outside of the Winters bubble. 

• Members

I thought maybe those Bradys but AW had Nicole Love so i just thought better to ask. Currently I wish Nicole were getting back with Eric. And, Salem is certainly populated with people who are related to each other! Of course, in the last several years of GL the second most popular couple, "JAmmy," were cousins so they were also a highly controversial couple.

• Members

be that as it may, the point being made is that what led to gloria monty, luke, laura, scotty was the fact that ‘general hospital’ was losing its time — badly, 8.6 vs 7— to ‘another world.’

Edited by wonderwoman1951
correct usage matters.