How Core Families Die

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The problem is that viewers can't be happy! They get new characters and they're "forced" but then they're tired of the same characters. I personally am all for character rotation and with the nature of soaps, new characters are ALWAYS needed. Some work, some don't, but things get really tired when characters aren't given a rest. Even when a new character comes along that works, people get mad, TPTB hear that (of all things) and the new character is unceremoniously cast off so that the show returns to it's repetitive tired status quo. SHOWS NEED CHANGE! 

• Members

I agree that shows need new characters.  The problem with the Rappaports was the extent to which they were thrust into the center of everything.  A OLTL fan said to me back in the early 2000s "Sam Rappaport was a breath of fresh air...until he was on 5 days a week."   

• Members

Very true. Every character was new at some point.

Core families die off because TPTB are not interested/committed for whatever reason.

They should always be mindful of keeping continuity.

But over and over again, we see new characters who could have been members of the core families and viable characters forgotten.

If Days had a commitment to the Hortons, there could be a lot more onscreen. So many have been written off and forgotten. 

As talked about before, the Fosters could have continued on Y&R. Greg could have children. Jennifer Foster could have turned up at some point and so on.. 

On GH Tom Hardy and his children could be on canvas.

If the families were refreshed and mixing it up with other characters I think a good balance could be struck.