NETFLIX: Elite

• Members

Does anyone watch this trashy, very unrealistic yet engaging Spanish high school soap opera? I’m on Season 3, and I feel like the show has always jumped the shark a bit, but I enjoy Guzman (a cocky rich bully, at least initially), Lu (a great little bitch), ice queen Carla, and Ander/Omar (the gay couple). I hear the show really goes off the rails in Season 4, but the first couple of seasons have some top-notch glamorous soap with a touch of social commentary about class. (The early protagonists are poor scholarship students at a super-wealthy private school.)

The amount of graphic simulated sex sometimes feels exploitative, I must say. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh good. I’m somewhat spoiled (accidentally, like I know who dies at the end of S3). I know it’s been renewed. Are you through all the seasons? The show does a decent job at making the characters very grey. The so-called “good” characters (like Samu and Nadia) do sh!tty things while you see the heart of even “villainous” characters (like Polo and Lu).

I totally saw the end of Season 2 coming with Polo and Caye.

Also, as you say, I love the twists and turns. Just when you think someone has the upper hand, there’s a reversal of fortune. Helps when you write characters who are evenly matched, even if they don’t have the same resources at their disposal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm sad to say S5 was lackluster and repetitive. Really missing Anders and Guzman. And the rest of the old guard.  Halfway through it's when it picks up. While it's isn't horrible by any means. It just more of the same. Not as well done, like in previous seasons. Patrick's involvement with a Brazilian father and son is of note. Isadora has to be the worst character in the shows history. The actress is a bit long in the tooth. To be playing a teen. She's only 25. Which is the age most of the cast is. But she doesn't have the baby face most of her costars have. She looks like a well-preserved cougar mom. Instead of a peer to the others. That said what happens to Isadora was messed up. Omar's story with Bilal felt aborted. It just goes nowhere at all. Who was Bilal so scared off?  The plot thread from the previous season. Involving Armando's murder is rather meh. But it will lead to something more explosive by the season finale. Where one character will get their just deserts. Still i continued to like the decadence and sexual fluidity. Some of the characters possess. Being part Spainard i enjoy the setting. Knowing next to nothing. About that side of my ancestry. I fear my beloved Elite is in jumping the shark territory.  It just wasn't the enjoyable ride. It once was. It's still better that the Gossip Girl reboot.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• Errol changed the title to NETFLIX: Elite