RIP JaNet DuBois

• Members

We're sad to hear of the death of #JaNetDuBois (1945–2020) — actress, singer and classic TV icon.

She starred as Willona on GOOD TIMES, sang THE JEFFERSONS theme and guest starred on SANFORD AND SON and THE STEVE HARVEY SHOW.

We love you, Ja'Net!

https://t.co/WweYExZxZa
(https://twitter.com/gettv/status/1229884929170923521?s=09)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ja'Net Du Bois (and not Jimmie "J.J." Walker) was the glue that held "Good Times" together during that season when Esther Rolle was off the show.  She (and Willona) were truly the best.  I miss her already.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I'm sorry to hear this news. I enjoyed her as Willona. And I am glad she got to do some work on various shows after "Good Times." And also got to enjoy the version that Jimmy Kimmel did not that long ago. She was around and seemed happy to witness that. She was a lovely lady and may she rest in peace.

• Members

Agree.  The "Dyn-O-Mite!' craze w/ Jimmie Walker had run its' course; and although people tend to blame the writers for Thelma and Michael's thin characterizations, I think neither Bern Nadette Stanis nor Ralph Carter gave the writers much to work with.  Therefore, without Penny and Willona, I don't believe there would have been a "Good Times" for Esther Rolle to return to at the start of the next (and final) season.

Her character's name was Loretta Allen, right?  And didn't Irene Cara portray her daughter, Daisy?

Edited by Khan