Favorite soap archetype

• Members

From the matriarch and patriarch thread- what are some of your favorite characters that embody these formerly common soap characters archetypes?  Also any others that were missed in @Neil Johnson’s post in that thread?  I decided to add wrong side

of the tracks character, and redeemed bad girl.

I’m looking for your favorite, not an idea of the best or first or model.  Which is yours favorite and why?

Matriarch- Alice Horton DAYS

I just loved Alice.  She was feisty, involved without nagging, loving, and welcoming.

Patriarch- Dr. Steve Hardy GH

Not a traditional soap, the family home was the hospital.  And Steve was the rock, the steady foundation.

Wise older character- Ruby Anderson GH

Again, not a traditional soap.  But Ruby really was a loving safe place, especially for the younger characters in town.  She wasn’t a pushover, she was tough love and could relate to everyone because of her past.

Ingenue- Laura Webber GH

Even when she was younger and wasn’t always an innocent, she had such an emotional innocence about her.  Heart on her sleeve always.

Prince Charming- Phillip Spaulding GL

For the most part trying to be the best of his family.

Long term bad-girl- Tracy Quartermaine GH

Although kind of defanged in later years, at her core she acted always in her own

interest.

Redeemed bad girl- Brenda Barrett GH

I had watched GH since I was a kid thanks to my family, but I was a young teen when the Karen/Brenda/Jagger/Jason stuff started, and I was really hooked then!  Brenda wasn’t as bad as some bad girls, but she was selfish, manipulative, mean, sexual, and also vulnerable and needy and lonely.

Long term realistic villain- Roger Thorpe GL

Hall of mirrors was over the top, but most of his time doing evil and selfish deeds was realistic, and compelling.

Larger than life supervillain- James Stenbeck ATWT

For all the love I have for Stefano, James still seemed dangerous when Stefano seemed like a cartoon.

Meddling character- Phoebe Wallingford AMC

Did anyone wring their hands more or have more fun meddling than Phoebe?

Wrong side of the tracks- Nina Webster Y&R

Nina was such a great, grounded character.  And she is almost a double archetype- wrong side of the tracks that marries into the wealthy family in town!

My personal favorite archetype is the wrong side of the tracks character.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yikes! With so many decades of soap watching under my belt, narrowing down the choices will be a challenge!

I’m looking for your favorite, not an idea of the best or first or model.  Which is yours favorite and why?

Matriarch- Bert Bauer, The Guiding Light

Patriarch- Dr. Tom Horton, Days of Our Lives

Wise older character- Jessie Brewer, General Hospital

Ingenue- Alice Matthews, Another World

Prince Charming- Scotty Baldwin, General Hospital

Long term bad-girl- Lisa Miller, As the World Turns

Redeemed bad girl- Lorie Brooks, The Young and the Restless

Long term realistic villain- Roger Thorpe, TGL

Larger than life supervillain- Those characters turn me off

Meddling character- Aunt Liz Matthews, Another World

Wrong side of the tracks- Rachel Davis, Another World

• Members

Manuela Soares 'The Soap Opera Book' published mid 70's listed these archetypes. Many of them have vanished as soaps changed focus. What would today's list consist of?

1. Young and vulnerable romantic heroine (strong in feelings, indecisive in actions) eg Liza SFT, Carol ATWT, Trish DOOL,Leslie Y&R

2 Old fashioned villian (selfish, scheming, liars, blackmailers) Author noted these seemed to be a dying breed Cam GH, Willis AW, Roger RH, Dorian OLTL

3.The rival (usually manipulating the heroine in pursuit of her man) Iris AW, Jennifer SFT, Erica AMC, Olive AW

4. Suffering antagonist (general troublemakers)  Delia RH, Susan ATWT, Stacy TD

5. Mr Right (stable, professional) Mike GL, Linc AMC, Bob ATWT

6. Former playboy (mysterious, reformed?) Steve AW, Doug DOOL, Lance Y&R

7. Meddlesome/villianous mother/grandmother (destructive, rich, snobbish, powerful) Pheobe AMC, Liz AW, Meg LOL

8. Benevolent mother/grandmother (tolerant, non-interfering, optimistic) Bert GL, Kate AMC, Jessie GH, Maeve RH

9.Career woman (strong willed yet vulnerable, feminine can be sympathetic or not) Laura DOOL, Althea TD, Sara GL, Susan ATWT, Nancy EON

Edited by Paul Raven