Dallas, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, and Dynasty as Daytime Soap Opreas.

• Members

Out of Dallas, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, and Dynasty, which one do feel would have been sucessful as a daytime soap that airs 12 months in a year? How many years do think it would have ran?You can pick more than one out of the four shows.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any could have worked as daytime shows.

Obviously the production values would be vastly different.

Stories would have to be adjusted to play over 5 60 min eps a week. More subplots needed.

One weekly episode could probably provide content for a weeks worth of shows.

• Members

I've always felt like the UK soap HollyOaks was similar. Shock plots, that either last years and get dragged out to ridiculous levels, or they wrap it up and burn through story. It wouldn't work (so I agree, Melrose and Dynasty would burn through story so fast .... lol)

I think Knots Landing would be the best one to have been a daytime show. I just think the variety of houses and couples and characters could drive a daytime drama. Dallas and FC .... maybe. 

• Members

Knots Landing would be best for daytime because you could bring in different sets of families in and out Seaview Circle throughout the years. 

If Daytime Soaps were still in production I would love a American counterpart to Neighbours (AUS) with six families living in a close-knit suburb somewhere in California or Arizona. 

• Members

Knots at around seasons 4, 5, and 6 would have given us the greatest daytime soap.

You have the teen angst characters, and kids younger to build to.  Greg Sumner and Mac provide political stories.  You have Laura in real estate, Abby getting access to and stealing from Gary, and the breakup of that marriage with Val and her moving on, the all time great twins story. Karen recovering from the loss of her husband and starting over running his business, then developing that land with Abby and Gary, and raising her family by herself.  Plus at this point we still have Kenny and Ginger and Ciji and the music business.  Really a lot of rich stories from domestic to business and character driven to plot driven.  The perfect mix for a soap, and before everything revolves around The Sumner Group.

None of the others have that kitchen table component which I think is important for a soap.  I just don’t see anyone meeting to talk about things over coffee except in Knots Landing.

Archived