Sign in to follow this  
DramatistDreamer

Why are soap fans so averse to online streaming?

48 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

A lot of expense for not a lot of return given the volume. A lot of primetime series that were far more popular than soaps in their heydays haven’t been streaming for that very reason, but that has been slowly changing. I know Dark Shadows is on Amazon Prime now, but I think it’s an unusual cult show that had multiple lives in reruns.

Not saying that one day we won’t wake up to news that 1970s Y&R is available on some new streaming service. I’m just not ready to make that bet. Who knows what the future will hold, of course?

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the fact that SoapClassics put out curated selections, rather than trying to sell/stream episodes fully in some type of chronological order.  I got the sense that it wasn't an expense issue but a permissions issue from PGP and also, possibly getting enough manpower to do the digital conversion of episodes given how tricky it was to navigate episodes with popular music.  

I can't really speak of what Sony/Y&R would do, they've got a different system but PGP seemed somewhat amenable where the SoapClassics sets/streaming was concerned, provided they didn't have to actually do anything.

Then again, the daytime drama industry complicates everything, I mean everything!  We were discussing this in the Holy Grail thread but it seems utterly bizarre that soap archives like scripts are so difficult to access when I could easily access scripts of I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke show.  What makes an old Guiding Light script so much more precious than an I Love Lucy script?  It's crazy!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

1 hour ago, dragonflies said:

Speaking of actor's who talk about their soap past, I remember a few years ago, Nolan North from Port Charles said some not so nice things about soaps. 

He said something about doing a voice inTMNT reached more people then his entire run on Port Charles

Maybe he had some bad vibes since GH didnt hire him in 2004 and 2009 to be Steven Lars Webber

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the fact that SoapClassics put out curated selections, rather than trying to sell/stream episodes fully in some type of chronological order.  I got the sense that it wasn't an expense issue but a permissions issue from PGP and also, possibly getting enough manpower to do the digital conversion of episodes given how tricky it was to navigate episodes with popular music.  

I remember when SoapClassics went under they said in an interview that it wasn't because they weren't selling but the process to "scrub" the episodes so the sound could be heard was a huge undertaking.

34 minutes ago, jcar03 said:

I remember when SoapClassics went under they said in an interview that it wasn't because they weren't selling but the process to "scrub" the episodes so the sound could be heard was a huge undertaking.

Yes!! 

It definitely was not a $$$ issue from what I've read.  They sort of ran into a wall because I gather that the process was painstaking and they had such a small crew working on digitization.  Also, it sure seemed as though PGP was never really going to do any heavy lifting where that process was concerned.

Someday the technology may come along that could allow them to seamlessly scan and put some sort of replacement sound over the scenes containing popular music.  I still think it's worth it to digitize as many episodes as possible until the technology catches up.  Of course, they wouldn't be able to release/sell anything but when they have the means to do it, digitizing episodes would be one less step to have to deal with.

SoapClassics had been streaming episodes on their own website, so we know it is possible.  

Edited by DramatistDreamer

But PGP has the AOL streaming deal so at the very least, why not have Amazon stream the complete series of Texas? I’m sure based on those reruns the show is ready to go. Same for Edge or Search, even if you just start where AOL was, not to mention Another World. What I could see happening though is that these soaps are put up, but it’ll be more recent years similar to what happened with B&B recently. 

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

But PGP has the AOL streaming deal so at the very least, why not have Amazon stream the complete series of Texas? I’m sure based on those reruns the show is ready to go. Same for Edge or Search, even if you just start where AOL was, not to mention Another World. What I could see happening though is that these soaps are put up, but it’ll be more recent years similar to what happened with B&B recently. 

Is that deal still valid?  Also, isn't AOL kind of a new company now since it acquired that Yahoo! (or the shards of what remains of Yahoo!)?

AOL is now technically known as Oath, I think.

@DramatistDreamer When I mention AOL what I mean is that they already have those episodes ready to go for streaming since they had to do that for AOL and SOAPnet in Another Worlds case. Idk why even if it’s just those episodes they can’t put them up. 

Edited by Chris B

It'd be nice to see someone at least try streaming classic episodes. Just to see the interest (or not). It's why I was so happy about RetroTV airing The Doctors. But they've yet to expand on airing soaps (I was hopeful for at least Dark Shadows, even Peyton Place ... but I think Decades has Dark Shadows, even though they don't air it). I fully believe the audience is there. But I understand cost vs. revenue and all that. It's a tricky situation. But like Chris B said, episodes were already made available to streaming years ago, why not just put them up somewhere? It's likely because no one cares enough to.

Edited by KMan101