Y&R Early 2018 spoilers

• Members

Especially the men who aren't Jack or Victor. Billy, Nick, JT,  Scott, and (up until the convenient plot-driven now) Cane have all been these milquetoast "I need to FIND my purpose!" dudes. And Devon and Neil have had no impact on the canvas with their new venture, even though they are ostensibly movers and shakers. I don't want to sound all Hogan Sheffer here, but there needs to be some balance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Certainly. Balance is good. With soaps, you can't make everyone happy, but at least with balance, there's hopefully something every viewer can enjoy or follow. Even if it's a B-type story.

One recent example I can think of is Sharon and her studies. Seeing her go back to school as an adult was endearing.

• Members

Maura West should've been cast as Grace or Tricia if anything. She still would've interacted with the Newmans and still be able to cause ruckus like they had Diane do. 

@Cat, I agree. Y&R has never been a super couple soap. Really, none of the CBS soaps were super couple driven, which made them standouts to the NBC and ABC soaps, which were. I do believe too that the partial downfall of ATWT and GL was the fact that they pandered to fans wanting specific characters together. As you pointed out, Y&R is suffering the same fate. 

Y&R was so much better when it was a character driven, psychological soap instead of the mess it is now. 

• Members

This. It was more realistic that way, I think. Sometimes two people who are great together do break up... and move on. Or don't (Tricia!! How I loved her obsessed, crazy ass). I liked that Bill Bell didn't always pander to ship-name fandoms but was more concerned with portraying life in GC rather than just fairytale romance. Don't get me wrong, I was a GH and Days viewer and loved them, but Y&R offered me different things. Bell was focused on changing dynamics of all kinds (not just romantic) and on telling a story that would change things on the canvas and move things forward. The stakes were higher in a way because we never knew exactly how it would pan out for some couples.

Bill Bell was the epitome of a writer who wrote what an audience needed, and not necessarily what they wanted at that given moment. He also enjoyed teasing out ambiguity in characters, so it wasn't like there were couples on the canvas that an overwhelming 90% of the audience actively rooted for.

• Members

Also liked MW as Diane. 

I remember when she and Victor got together. He gave her a necklace and placed it around her neck. His words and the staging made me cringe. It felt like he was collaring a dog/pet. *shudders*

Plus, the way he threw her out of a moving ambulance as if to say she deserved that abuse. Just so much terrible imagery with that character. 

It was clear that whoever was writing had such disdain for her. I later found out that she was forced on TPTB, who didn't want. It then made sense. 

Archived