Overboard Move 2018

dragonflies

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It doesn't look as bad as I thought (it doesn't look that good either) but the actor is 56...he looks alright for 56, but why would they need to cast someone 15 years older than Anna Faris? Is it an inversion of Goldie Hawn being older than Kurt Russell? I don't get it. 

I guess the actor must be well known in Mexico. I'd never heard of him, and Faris isn't a movie draw, so I can't see anyone flocking to this.

• Members

Looks like the trailer was taken down.

I wonder why.

I wonder if people are going to say the movie is racist. Did anyone else notice how very careful they were to include Latino actors/characters in those moments? Eva Longoria's character was the one shown suggesting they pretend that he is Anna's husband. And the men who were laughing at him doing manual labor were either Latino or could pass. 

They also made sure to gender swap an idea that some would now say is rape.

My question is - if they were that nervous about this subject matter...why remake it in the first place?

• Members

Because, thanks to idiots like Reese Witherspoon, "Overboard" is a cult favorite; and in an era where everything -- and I do mean everything -- is being rebooted, reimagined, remade and revived, that translates (in the studios' eyes) into being a bankable property.

But, honestly...?  I always thought the original movie stunk.

• Members

I mostly liked it because of Goldie and Edward Herrmann and Katherine Helmond...and it was a movie I watched repeatedly when I was a kid so it has sentimental value. I wish they hadn't remade it though.

If it was remade I think having it be about two men may have been a better idea. 

• Members

I loved the original Overboard because it was perfectly cast and the humor had a light touch. I have no interest in watching a reboot featuring Anna Faris (the female Armie Hammer, a woman Hollywood has TRIED to make happen and failed) whose stock in trade is bottom-of-the-barrel toilet humor.

• Members

Given the original's camp appeal, I'd have to agree.  But we would have to see the amnesiac character in a same-sex relationship from the very beginning, or else GLAAD and everyone else will accuse the filmmakers of saying gays can "turn" heterosexuals.

Speak for yourself.

Archived