ALL--Large Families, helping or hurting soaps?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is something the execs are pathologically obsessed with. They always blame it on the fans saying, “the fans want to know that the characters are related.” When I don’t think that is the case.

often you would have new characters become unexpectedly popular and they would rush to retcon them as a long lost family member. Well if the audience already liked them, were they really demanding that the characters be related?

• Members

It only becomes a problem after 3 generations when almost every grandchild is related. 

I've always thought that TPTB make new characters related to core families for two reasons: 

A) viewers care about the core families so they instinctively care about anyone related to those core families. It's lazy and keeps them from having to put in the work to endear there characters to the viewers. 

B ) they want other characters on canvas to care about what's going on with the new character to give the new characters someone to interact with and their story relevance. Hence,  they tend to marry into the core families for ties to provide them story and airtime, i.e. the anchor baby. 

• Members

The difference was that all those characters were tied to Core characters.. first as support until viewers grew used to them.

If you think about it, Marty/Andrew were both tied to Megan and her illness.. and once Megan passed.. they paired Andrew with Cassie (another core character) and Marty caused trouble for other core characters.   And Nora was an attorney with an exhusband and daughter that were already on (and those characters were paired with long term characters).. and Luna was paired with Max/Tina as the comic support for several months.

I didn't like how Marland introduced the Snyders... they practically had a family set and I felt were shoved down peoples throats fairly early in their run.

Archived