Classic TV

KMan101

• Members

I've been watching Tarzan off and on this weekend on Decades and I'm in love! It's like a western but not. It makes me so happy when I can still find classic TV shows that I've never watched and enjoy them. In two weeks, they're doing Police Woman, which is another I've been wanting to see for a long, long time.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've already got the DVR set for Police Woman! lol. I've actually never seen it.

I meant to record/watch Tarzan. I forgot all about it. I try hard to keep up with the Decades marathons. They often have some good ones! Decades is what I wanted TV Land to be, somewhat (it kind of was with the retromercials and they did have some "rare" shows every now and then and I liked their weekend marathons and weekend "blocks"). I guess I should say instead that Decades reminds me a lot of how TV Land was and should have been.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I'm enjoying it, mainly for the weekend binges. The weekday schedule leaves a lot to be desired, and I don't understand how/why the documentary stuff is still such a focus. Expanding the "Television Through the Decades" block to all day would be an obvious improvement. Or at least make that the theme for the daytime schedule and then have primetime be a microcosm of that. Something like:

7am-10am: 50s

10am-1pm: 60s

1pm-4pm: 70s

4pm-7pm: 80s

7pm-8pm: 50s

8pm-9pm: 60s

9pm-10pm: 70s

10pm-11pm: 80s

And then maybe do the weekend binges on rotation by decade. This weekend a 50s show, next weekend something from the 60s, on and on.

Still wish they let us know what the binges were ahead of time! I'm not interested in The Commish at all, and I've already made plans for next weekend

Please register in order to view this content

I'm gonna be "sick" the following weekend for PW.

• Members

I don't mind the documentary stuff, I find it interesting. And I like they show things like Laugh-In and Dick Cavett and Ed Sullivan. I'm not actively watching any of it but I like it's on.

I imagine they'll expand the daytime lineup of shows. They didn't even have a regular daytime schedule until either earlier this year or late last year. The Through The Decades blocks of programming is very recent. So there's room to grow. I think it's a solid offering of shows. I can see them adding more or switching things up. I like they're airing things like Our Miss Brooks and Family Affair. The other shows have been played to death but I still like them. I'm not actively watching most at this point, but it's nice they're offered.

Agreed on the Weekend Binge idea. It seems all over the place with the marathons. Commish one weekend and Police Woman the next. I appreciate the idea of the blocks, seeing some shows not in regular lineups. 

Edited by KMan101

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There are only two series which I would KILL to see again, and (preferably) have quality copies of: St. Elsewhere (seasons 2-6) and Family (seasons 3-5).

Family might even be more of a holy grail than St. E, because I know that St. E has been broadcast in syndication, so it must be available somewhere. Family has never played much anywhere, and no die-hard fans whom I've ever contacted over the years have the later seasons.

Boy do I envy you! Make sure to record the eps. If you don't, you'll probably kick yourself in later years, for missing the opportunity to do so!

Let us know what the prints look like.

--Larry Wilcox

--John Schneider

--Martin Milner

--Don Johnson

--David Soul

--Kevin Tighe

--Kent McCord

--Pete Duel

--Neither McRaney nor Parker (can I substitute Ted Wass?)

--Jared Paladecki

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Currently knee-deep in the marathon, and I'm loving every minute of it! The first four episodes were a pair of two-parters from the second season, but everything else has been from the seasons not on DVD, and the picture and audio are fantastic. The episodes themselves have been great, though I'm not sure why they skipped over some key moments (mainly Willie's marriage to his terminally ill girlfriend). Two things really stick out to me. The quiet, low-key tone they set in the beginning was maintained throughout the entire series, and it's wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen a show put so much care into developing one-shot guest characters. By the end of each episode, it feels like they are just as important as the regulars.

Speaking of the regulars, it just doesn't get better than Sada Thompson, Meredith Baxter, and Gary Frank.

The second Sony puts a full-series box set out there, I'm snapping it up. This marathon has solidified Family as one of my favorite drama series of all time.

The next two weeks are The Greatest American Hero and Renegade. I have no interest in TGAH. I might watch a few episodes of Renegade purely for the nostalgia factor. I don't have word on what's following those, but I'm hoping for more largely unseen and unreleased dramas.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I've completely given up hope on getting official DVD releases of either St. E or Family, so even if your station is not airing all the eps from seasons 3-5, record the ones that do air. You could probably sell or trade them on the internet and make some cash or get some other rare gems in trade, in return.

Family has always been on the list of my Top 10 television series. I adored the entire, stellar cast. A network would probably balk at hiring realistic-looking actresses like Thompson and McNichol today; they would want lithe, generic and beautiful model types. I doubt many networks would allow for slow, leisurely character-driven episodes to air, either, without demanding that car crashes, fires, kidnappings, etc. be dumped into into the mix.

I had such a crush on Jeff Maitland back in the day. I hated myself for finding such a bad boy appealing (in real life, if my husband cheated on me he'd be dead, LOL), but that character was so sexy!

Writer David Jacobs did some of his best work on this show.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Currently watching THE ROOKIES on Decades Weekend Binge, and I forgot how much I enjoyed this show way back in the early 2000s when TV Land aired it. Even then, they only showed the first season (something they were doing with a ton of shows at that time), and Decades has been airing the third and fourth seasons with Bruce Fairbairn as Chris Owens all weekend. I thought I wouldn't be too interested in it without Michael Ontkean, whom I remember loving on the show, but it's still very good. Such a great ensemble cast, and the real hunk here is the late Sam Melville, who was great with Kate Jackson.

Next two weekends are Vega$ and Here Come the Brides. We had both several months ago, but I didn't get to watch much of either the first time around, so I'm still looking forward to them, especially HCTB, which is one of my faves.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...