Would u take back JFP as EP of GH?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lighting is too dark.  The music is kind of annoying. I hated when they killed Jessica's Megan baby. But that's typical JFP. She loves dark & depressing tales. There was such built up to Jess's teen pregnancy. Only to have an 8 month pregnant Jess get hit by a car driven by Dorian. The only thing i liked was Jessica gaslighting Dorian. Under JFP OLTL was a dark & Depressing. The only story that was fun was Vicki's may/december romance with hunky Ben.

• Members

It wasn't just Maureen that ended Guiding Light.  But I think a chain of events that JFP set in motion contributed greatly.

By the time she left that show, her normal tricks were all present.  It's like she formed the producer she was going to be for the rest of her career during the last year or so at GL.

Letting male actors dictate story, and sidelining female actors.  Killing off beloved characters.  Killing off kids.  Focusing on younger characters to the exclusion of vets.  Dictating the writing.  Losing Beverlee McKinsey.  Killing Maureen.  The Buzz invasion.  Lucy.  Pretty much what she did on every show after, just change the names.

On Santa Barbara and most of her Guiding Light run, she had very strong writers that had some power.  She executed their vision with her input.  I think she has terrible instincts about what these shows need, but it looks expensive so...

• Members

Read here

Curlee: For all that has been written, slamming Jill, no one should ever question how much she loved GL. She loved good writing and good actors, and was one of the best technical directors I ever worked with. There was a time when she and I finished each others’ sentences, and I’ll always remember that fondly.

• Members

Nope. Jill has had 30 years of producing almost every soap out there. It's always been a mess. She guts the show of beloved vets and many females over 45. There are a ton of recasts with her FOJs. The quality of the writing dips as we get some sub-GH dark pretentious crap. As for her so-called production values -- what production values?? She came on Y&R -- a show famous for its lush and filmic production -- and made the sets look like Ally McBeal circa 1997. Slate-grey walls are not aesthetic! And on screen they look drab af! How can someone praised as the soap world's most accomplished technical producer not realise this after 30 effing years

Jill's ego is such that when she is hired somewhere, she imposes HER signature all over the show. She is so wrapped up in her own ossified brand that she doesn't bother researching the show, its history, tone, unique voice or color (it's like a fashion designer coming to Christian Dior, thinking he's the best designer the fashion world ever burped up, and setting fire to the Dior archives). Her main trick is generifying the show to make it look like every other mediocre show out there. A few years after she leaves, the show usually ends up being cancelled. These two events are intrinsically linked. She is usually fired because, duh, viewers leave in droves. As we all know, when viewers leave a soap, they rarely come back. JFP leaves every soap a wreck.

• Members

Actually not true at all she brings ratings galore. At AW she actually surpassed GL and ratings went up 34 percent 18 to 49. At OLTL she hit number 1 demos during week of Jessica losing her baby. She got the show its first emmy nod in 2000 best show in years. Her ratings were so good at OLTL they promoted hrr to GH. At GH she had fab demos it wasnt until last 2 years she faltered. She won four emmys best show for GH.at YR she had the highest ratings in like 8 years ago. One week of the Pratt disaster she hit 5.5 million and then week of Billy/Adam showdowm she got 5.7 million. She also won back to back emmys best show at YR. Jill is wild how she shakes up a show its nuts.

Archived