Days: October 2015 Discussion thread

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ALL OF THIS.

If this goes like Y&R Cassie (and that took YEARS and Mariah's appearance was stunging and shocking), it won't bother me.

Otherwise, this would totally bother me since I remember Will's storyline from before he was born, all those recasts, and more. Like AS said in the new SOD, unlike her other kids, he has been there the whole time. 20 years. And when it was playing out today, I couldn't help but think about how Lucas would react. Marlena. Someone mentioned Kate. And you realize how connected he is to soooo many people. Just blows my mind unless there are long terms effects.

• Members

killing Will is a dumb-ass move. He's not just a legacy character & LGBT icon, this crazy hot mess was storytelling gold. Insane.

And I love this poster's letter in the comments section at Vulture and Onairsoaps.

I am 53 and have watched soaps since the age of five when Audrey was battling Phil Brewer and Barnabas was stalking Maggee, when Nicole and Adam reunited in the Whitney foyer on 12/31. I’ve seen writers ruin Somerset, and networks push horrible soaps like For Richer For Poorer. I’ve lived through lame, dumb, political, creatively vacuous decisions (killing Maureen, Franky, several of James Reilley’s plots). Even when Irna Phillips was senile and writing for ATWT in the end, and had a character fall “up” a staircase and die…..and this Will killing is in the top two of all time worst, darkest, cynical, homophobic decisions ever! I have a hard time believing this was Josh Griffith’s doing. I think he understands social media, backlash, contemporary stories and soap structure (even when he’s boring and losing steam i.e. YR). This is a Corday/Higley decision. Anyone who follows Higley on social media knows that she and her family are Christians who quote scripture on FB and Twitter. We all know Corday was a hold out over the years for a contemporary gay plot and that Days was seen as the most Christian soap. And anyone who follows social media and Days knows that there have been a vocal group of homophobes who hated the Wilson story from day one. Everything about this story turn is so wrong and disgusting. There’s no creativity or fun in this plot. Yes, the directing, lighting, music and production have greatly improved but that doesn’t justify killing off a historic soap and gay character by a testosterone laden, muscle straight guy. It’s just downright vindictive to a huge swath of the audience and the public who cares about the role of gay characters in soaps. The fact that Guy Wilson was a terrible actor (yes, he was) and I didn’t tune in to see most of the last year when he and Wilson were featured heavily (and I”m gay!) is no excuse for writing his exit this way. I hope the ratings plummet because this creative team does not deserve to continue in their jobs. The show is corrupt and broken and Corday/Higley are primarily responsible.

• Members

That's utter bullshit. This whole homophobia concerning the decision to kill off Will makes no damn sense. Didn't the whole coming out story start with Whitesell and Higley when they brought Sonny to town? Also Will isn't the only gay character in soaps. I thought people wanted Sonny and Will to be treated like everyone else? Like going through adultery, breakups a wedding and now heartbreak? But suddenly both need to be treated with kid gloves because Will wound up dead? Freddie Smith left on his own and is open to return, Christopher Sean is still there. And threatening to boycott the show over a FICTIONAL character? Zack Brady, a Horton, Brady and Kiriakis, was killed and the soap didn't collapse.

Sorry about that.

• Members

I agree with the last few commenters. I think the reasoning for killing will is because it is going to cause a major impact. The first two deaths were brutal but were ultimately characters most didn't care about. Paige and Serena did nothing in particular for the show. And even if you were big fans, they don't resonate with the majority of the characters on the show, especially Serena. With Will, the audience can feel a kick to the gut. It raises the stakes. It will also affect almost the entire canvas: Lucas, Sonny, Paul, Gabi, Sami, Marlena, John, Kate, etc, etc. Isn't the point of having a successful murder mystery/serial killer storyline is to have at least one major character die? Usually the least successful storylines of this nature are the ones that have dayplayers or minor characters killed off. Everyone usually says "who cares?" in those situations.

• Members

Kill off Roman or Abe or Kate or Nicole.  All expendable and don't carry as much baggage.  In fact, Kate would have been great.  Even tho the actress is good, it's time.  And Nicole could be retired easily.  Daniel is another one that they could have killed; they should have started the mystery that way, by killing Daniel!  The mass audience would have cheered and watched because he was connected to major families and has been on for several years.  Killing Will was Corday's way of saying F You to the vocal supporters of 21st century portrayal of gay characters.

I will no longer watch the show, for sure.

• Members

It was Corday's idea for Will to come out of the closet. Higley introduced Sonny to the show and started Will's coming out storyline. They had Will and Sonny be treated like everyone else. So suddenly they are homophobic because Will is dead. He was like every other character who just happens to be gay. Freddie decided to leave on his own, he even said he's open to coming back. Christopher Sean is still there.

Exactly was there this much anger when they killed off Zack Brady?

• Members

This decision is being panned all over the place.  It was dumb, lacked creativity, and it won't help the show.  Killing baby Zack was also stupid but not of this magnitude.  And just because Higley/Corday introduced Sonny end Corday green lighted a coming out story doesn't absolve him of this terrible story decision.  It's as low as the show has gone and the graphic scenes were just uncalled for.  

Will didn't even fight for his life Serena and Paige fought more. I guess the writers think just because a man is gay they can't fight.

Don't see the lone gay Paul being on the show too much longer. The writers will probably undo Paul being John's son and either kill him in a degrading manner like Will or be phased out.

Archived