Jury finds Pharell and Thicke Copied Gaye song for Blurred Lines

DramatistDreamer

• Members

One of the funniest things that came out during the trial is that Thicke, who built his rep as a songwriter, took credit but did not write Blurred Lines--even though he made more $ as a songwriter than Pharrell (how Paula Patton stayed with him as long as she did is beyond me).

Well, taking part of the songwriting credit, he's on the hook now, at least by 1/2:

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/jury-finds-pharrell-thicke-copied-marvin-gaye-hit-blurred-lines-n321046

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In a way, Robin started the whole thing, he filed the suit, initially as a means to protect his intellectual property/copyright (a pre-emptive 'stike', I guess) and Marvin Gaye's estate countersued, after two of Gaye's children were notified of the lawsuit.

Nona, I read somewhere, said that initially when she heard the song she was pleased because she thought it would bring more attention to her father's song, to a new generation of listeners but when no credit was given and then the lawsuit arrived, the estate decided to bring countersuit.

A completely different example,

Sam Smith accredited Tom Petty's 'Won't Back Down' for perceived similarities for Stay With Me. Tom Petty kind of shrugged and said it can (and probably does) happen to any songwriter and he appreciates the acknowledgement. And the similarities were nowhere near as noticeable compared to Blurred Lines and Got To Give It Up.

Thicke handled himself in a very shady manner and Pharrell had to know darn well of the obvious similarities. They even had to submit the sheet music during the trial, Thicke had to play it in court. Musicologists (I have a friend who studied musicology...yay!) were called as experts.

This is one trial I wished were televised!

This was serious business! But these guys brought it on themselves by filing the lawsuit in the first place.

• Members

Not a fan or a listener of Robin Thicke's music at all (I just don't see his appeal - I find his mom, Gloria Loring, to be a much more charming and palatable performer), so I gave "Blurred Lines" a listen when I heard about the lawsuit over "Got to Give It Up". I could hear the melodic similarities in an instant. Ironically, I still can't hear that much of a similarity between "Ghostbusters" and "I Want a New Drug", which had Huey Lewis all up in arms over Ray Parker Jr.'s movie theme back in the mid 80s.

Archived