Carolyn Hinsey: Be Careful What You Wish For, Soap Fans

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When she said:

“B&B is more consistent, while GH has more surprises. Y&R tells stories with more long-term core characters, while DAYS drives one story at a time (Sami!). To each his own, soap fans.”

I was too done. She lost all credibility. If anything, DAYS is the consistent show. B&B is the show that drives one story at a time. GH does not surprise me and hasn't for years. And Y&R does tell stories for long-term core character BUT those stories are all sh*tty.

And to think once upon a time when I use to be SOD frequently, her articles were the ones I'd look forward to. Boy how a couple of years passing by would change that. wacko.png

• Members

I think the last time I found her credible was around 05/06. When she started to ship that Phyllis/PHICK (about late '06, early '07) was the best thing to happen to Y&R in years, I was done. I found that pairing to be one of the most unromantic (and stupidest) pairings ever. Playing video games and humping on the sofa or floor is not romantic and does not equate a true super couple. At all.

• Members

I actually think she brings up a good point about at some point needing to tolerate newer characters to keep Soaps viable. I think the thing that is killing Daytime (and has been for awhile now) is that their are viewers who only watch for certain characters/actors (You definitely see this with the fans of Billy Miller, Micheal Muhney and other high profile actors), and that has fragmented soaps in a very harmful way because instead of creating a great project, they've just focused on creating isolated vehicles. Yes to some extent this also has to do with budgetary constraints and filming scheduling, regardless, it's gotten to the point where it almost seems like each soap has multiple different shows within it -- and it never feels like a true interconnected soap. It doesn't matter how many stories are in play if they never seem to intertwine or connect within the larger community.

I know I myself am guilty of it and have been for years of only watching for one story or one character. I've done it with Ej on Days, as well as with Luke and ATWT, Sharon on Y&R, Ford on OLTL, and Lucky on General Hospital. I honestly can't remember a time when I sat and watched an entire show from start to finish, or felt fulfilled by an umbrella storyline that truly utilized all of the cast. Ultimately it's because I don't care and I am not invested in most of the dynamics and relationships. But when you only watch for one person then you have virtually no tie to the show. Which is killing soaps now. I think that's a worthwhile point in her column. Is the audience willing to sit through something they might not like or enjoy and give it a chance in order to get to something they really love and furthermore support the full soap?

Part of the reason why I think Daytime is dying is because once upon a time there used to be a love for the entire community, and now there is only interest in singular stars.

• Members

I always return to the same argument: if I had wanted to stop watching ALL MY CHILDREN, GUIDING LIGHT, KNOTS LANDING, or any other soap, because my favorite actors were no longer on, or were not on as frequently, then I would have quit watching these shows long before I actually did. I had my favorites, but for the most part, I watched for the whole show; and when I stopped watching, it was usually because the show as a whole had reached a point where it was absolutely intolerable with no hope for a reprieve. An influx (or several) of new characters might have contributed, but only because those characters were so poorly cast and written, IMO, it just made me that much more eager to see again actors and characters I could count on to entertain me. Getting accustomed to well-written and -cast newbies never makes losing favorites easy, IMO, but I also feel it is a perfect opportunity to discover new favorites. I only wish the remaining soaps would recognize that.

Archived