May 26-30, 2014: Y&R Hits New Low in Women 18-49 Demo

Toups

• Members

I have never believed it was Frons' purpose or mission to get rid of soaps. I think his vision was flawed, but he genuinely believed he was doing what needed to be done to transform soaps, transition them into a new age and save the genre. He was wrong. But he wasn't evil the way some people try to make him out to be. And Ron and Frank think they're returning GH to the golden age type of show that epitomizes soaps' glory years. They too are wrong. That's not what they're doing. They're just capitalizing on the worst that soaps ever were and completely ignoring the bond viewers build with characters over years of viewing.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ron and Frank didn't do much to help OLTL either. I think it was better than GH is now, but not by much. They had the same problems there that they do on GH. They're just not very good.

Ron and Frank didn't do much to help OLTL either. I think it was better than GH is now, but not by much. They had the same problems there that they do on GH. They're just not very good.

• Members

While I agree that their departures aren't the sole reasons for the ratings drop, I do think they are a factor. Part of the reason Y&R doesn't feel like Y&R anymore is because of the amount of actors no longer with the show in such a short period of time. Of course the writing plays a huge part as well.

• Members

I don't think this sentence makes sense. They have higher ratings than they did a year ago, therefore their ratings are up. You could look at week to week comparisons to find a way to say ratings are down, but the weekly whims of the audience makes that a bad way to judge. Wasn't it a few weeks ago the subtitie to this thread was GH attracts largest sweeps audience in 7 years?

It's only the worst it has ever been if you do not think the era of Sonny, Carly and Jason on the show seven days a week was the worst it has ever been. If you miss the day of the drabs then it is the worst it has ever been.

• Members

Please! You may not have liked who was featured, but at least stories were told and we were not subjected to Connect The Plots! Nothing is worse than consistent OFFSCREEN storytelling! We won't even discuss the weekly retcons because that could take all day.

I loved the mob, but I agree that no 3 characters should dominate a soap opera. But again, nothing is worse than the severely polluted disjointed mess going on now!

• Members

You loved the mob but feel no three characters should dominate a soap. How can that be? The very definition of the mob on GH was three characters dominating the soap. So if you loved the mob you therefore loved Sonny, Carly and Jason dominating the soap every day. They no longer do so and consequently this is worse than what you loved.

Archived