Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

Trash can? Really. I am a ProJam and I think you are trolling me. j/k LOL

So you don't like what Daniels is doing with Jamal by showing his tough side? I don't see this as any different than showing Lucious committing cold blooded murder. What's the difference in Jamal standing up to some thugs in that manner? I am sure Lucious would have been written the same way. Andre, on the other hand, would have done exactly what they said and tried to reason with them because that is his personality. Hakeem probably would have cowered because he doesn't have the background that Jamal or Andre has. Cookie probably would have pulled her .38 out and shot someone. How is showing her as tough any different than showing Jamal as tough? I'm not getting it here?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I actually loved Jamal standing up to the thugs who wanted to rob the studio. I liked that moment.

In other times, I've sort of laughed at how he tries to be a bad ass. Sorry, lol. But I laugh at Hakeem trying to be a bad ass thug too. He looks even more hilarious trying to be all big and bad when he's nothing but a child still.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I see what you did there. LOL

Hakeem is getting very sympathetic writing at the moment. He is being fleshed out. He needs it. Jamal, as a character, can survive off Jussie's good looks, charisma, and musical talents. Hakeem can't. Sorry to any Hakeem fans, but he just can NOT. People are calling him ugly. That kid is not ugly. But I think we all know what is behind that. Just in case you don't, I will spell it out. His lips are too thick and his skin is too dark (in comparison to his siblings) for a lot of people. I'll end that there.

• Members

Yes, to all of this. YES. But Jamal doesn't have the right to stand up for himself... for some reason.... ......... ........

Yes, he does. And, yet, only one of the two is judged and vilified for standing up for himself. I wonder why? laugh.png

Oh, so that's it!

I do hope they bring him into line. Dude has been off the charts defending himself against robbing, gun-wielding, assh*les!

Edited by YRBB

• Members

Jamal is YOUNG. Do you know how long it takes people to come to that realization about their parents? It won't be anytime before a person is 55!

Of course, he is going to want the approval of his father. And while they use sexuality as the rift between them, wanting a parent's approval is aommon theme drives characters on soaps. It could have been anything really. They could have chosen the kind of music that Hakeem wants to make. His father is a rapper and Lucious could have wanted Jamal to be a rapper. I think some people might feel different about this situation if it wasn't sexuality.

• Members

Nope. Don't. Don't try to make this about the writing supporting Hakeem because the actor is being criticized for the way he looks, while Jamal can be left to deal on his own.

All this was written and shot before the show even premiered. It has nothing to do with that.

They (TPTB) should be writing well and supporting both sides. Their bias is clear and, unfortunately, the audience all too easily identifies with that.

But, since we're on the subject, I will say that 1) I find Hakeem much sexier than Jamal 2) I was very, very appreciative of the fact that he was half naked for basically the whole episode!

• Members

The first couple of episodes was very pro Jamal. It was all about pushing Jamal as the one to root for. Every episode can't be pro Jamal. Lest, he be the saint instead of Hakeem. That isn't balanced either. This was ONE episodes. Just one. Now if this is the theme for the rest of the season, I'll be somewhere acting a fool...writing a letter or two...or three to Fox, for sure! But I am not up in arms over one episode. Andre needs some episodes as well. He needs to be more than the villain that is coming between his two talented brothers.

It always is...I live on a soap box.