Ratings from the 80's

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Jacqueline Courtney’s yearlong return to AW ran from May 4, 1984 to April 15, 1985.  Her return had little movement of the ratings with AW occasionally beating Capitol, but the show never moved from 8th or 9th place in the ratings.

It will be curious to see how AW does in the summer and fall- the bright spot is that the character of Victoria will appear, but there are many bad choices made by TPTB- Perry is killed by falling on a pitchfork, Mary Page Keller’s Sally is recast with Taylor Miller, Larry gets involved in a “Miami Vice” plot about selling Ecstasy at a nightclub, Brittany continues to flounder going from a death mute to a scheming gold digger in a matter of weeks, and what I consider one of AW’s worst storylines ever- Carl Hutchins will fill an Egyptian urn with poisonous dust that will kill Grant Todd and put both Mac and Rachel near death in the hospital.  The switch in EP from Allen Potter to Stephen Schenkel will result in a bunch of bad storyline decisions and useless characters.

• Members

I saw your post. I've been busy since I've seen your post, but I will get to it when I can!

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS (FAST NATIONALS): WEEK OF 4/22/85-4/26/85:

Please register in order to view this content

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 4/29/85-5/3/85 & 5/6/85-5/10/85:

• Members

SB really picking steam quickly. AW nearly beating ATWT at this point. Obviously the momentum won't last, but it's shocking to see.

For Y&R, I believe the first week of June is when Kay finally shows John Abbott the slides exposing Jill's affair, promptly causing him to go home screaming after Jill (who was busy eye-f***ing Brad by the pool), and then having a stroke in the bedroom. So unsurprised the numbers jumped there.

Nice to see DAYS' bump for Bo & Hope's wedding, though I am surprised they didn't get more of a bump, considering how much that story lifted the show's ratings in the previous year! Maybe the bad press from not inviting most of Hope's family didn't help matters.