Ratings from the 80's

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That would do it! I wouldn't wish O'Shea not to head to OLTL the next year, as her work there was exactly what rejuvenated that show in 85-87, but clearly her work on Capitol was resonating with viewers in a way that those who followed didn't. I expect the frequent turnover in the writers' room did that show NO favours.

• Members

We're heading into Fall 1983 and three tiers have formed.

Top tier: General Hospital, All My Children, Y&R, One Life to Live

Mid tier: As the World Turns, Guiding Light, Days, Capitol

Bottom tier: Another World, Ryan's Hope, The Edge of Night, Loving, Search for Tomorrow

• Members

Great to confirm more US Open Preemptions.

I am assuming the event that broke into soaps and preempted Search for Tomorrow was this event from September 1: A South Korean 747 was shot down in the Sea of Japan by a Soviet fighter near a Soviet island off Siberia, the United States announced. There were no known survivors aboard the plane carrying 269 people on a flight from New York to Seoul. American, Soviet and Japanese ships and planes fruitlessly searched the frigid seas north of Japan where the airliner apparently went down. There was an unconfirmed report that the long-missing plane had experienced radio difficulties and thus may have been unable to hear or respond to any Soviet warnings, but there was no clear explanation for the attack. 

Investigations continued into the next week with the Soviet Union admitting it on September 6, which accounts for the other interruptions (I have to remember that sometimes I need to look at NY Times news from the following day, since it was all in print back then!).