• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

You're welcome @MichaelGL

A few years back I researched GL EP/HW changes and the 1982 and 1983 changes in date order were

October 1982: HW Pat Falken Smith

November 1982: HW L. Virginia Browne

February 1983: EP Gail Kobe, co-HWs Richard Culliton and Pamela Long

September 1983: HW Pamela Long

• Members

GL was one of the two soaps where she was only there for one 13-week cycle. They asked her to write stories that she said could not be done & they said they thought a writer like her could make them work. She did not agree. It is said that PFS & GL & RH were simply poor fits between writer & show. 

• Members

Some interesting trends occurring in the summer of 1982.  

General Hospital is beginning to hemorrhage, and is now being overtaken at #1 (temporarily, at least) by All My Children.  

GH's loss of viewers is negatively impacting Edge of Night, which had likely benefited from having GH as a lead-in.  This led to an utterly disastrous change in the writing regime of Edge in 1983, and then an unfortunate downhill spiral culminating in the show's cancellation at the end of 1984. 

Y&R, a contender for #1 throughout 1979, had spiraled down to #6 and #7 after its disjointed, rambling change to the hour-long format in early 1980.  It's now beginning to regroup with a new, youthful core family (the Abbotts), and is currently a VERY solid #4, behind only the three ABC powerhouses.  

• Members

One year at 12:30 pm and Y&R is killing it. Ryan's Hope is no match and Search for Tomorrow was DOA upon the move to NBC 12:30 pm.

As we will see, Y&R will move past One Life to Live in 1984, All My Children in 1986, and General Hospital in 1989.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

If I remember correctly, it was both L. Virginia Browne and Gene Palumbo who were head writers, not just Browne. And there were interim head writers between Browne/Palumbo and Culliton/Long: Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton, and Gary Tomlin. Pamela Long's name first appeared in the credits sometime around mid-May 1983.

• Members

The week of July 12 was when AW had the elaborate cave in at the Bel Aire Tower construction site that trapped Rachel and Steve. A slight increase but no real growth for the show.  I wish we could see these episodes on YouTube.  So far they have not popped up there.