AMC: Low Winter Sun

Vanguardian

• Members

I've seen trailers for this upcoming show and they look pretty good. Technically, it's a cop show, but it's expected not to be the typical cop procedural. It's more like a gritty cop soap opera IMO, and that works for me. I've already seen people posting around the internet describing "Low Winter Sun" as a cross between "The Shield" and "The Wire." The setting is the city of Detroit where it's actually filmed. The synopsis goes like this:

The AMC original series "Low Winter Sun" is a contemporary story of murder, deception, revenge, and corruption in a world where the line between cops and criminals is blurred. "Low Winter Sun" begins with the murder of a cop by a fellow Detroit detective. Seemingly the perfect crime, in reality the murder activates forces that will forever alter the detective's life, and pull him into the heart of the Detroit underworld. "Low Winter Sun" is based on the award-winning 2006 British miniseries of the same name. This show makes its debut on August 11th following "Breaking Bad."

From what I can discern, there is going to be 8 main characters with a bevy of guest and recurring characters. The 8 main characters are:

Mark Strong as "Frank Agnew": An upright, stoic Detroit homicide detective, Frank Agnew is used to taking on his own burden and the burdens of others.

Lennie James as "Joe Geddes": Part cop, part perp, Geddes is a smart-but-slippery veteran homicide detective who helps Frank commit an act of vengeance.

James Ransone as "Damon Callis": Damon is a fierce, intelligent, and ruthless crime lord who is tired of playing second fiddle to Alexander Skelos, Detroit's reigning mob boss.

Ruben Santiago-Hudson as "Charles Dawson": Lieutenant Dawson is a 25-year veteran of the Detroit Police Department and the commander of Frank's precinct.

Sprague Grayden as "Maya Callis": Maya is the fierce, intelligent, and ruthless wife of Damon Callis.

Athena Karkanis as "Dani Khalil": A highly intelligent detective, Dani is anxious for Frank to get over a past loss and find happiness--possibly with her.

Billy Lush as "Nick Paflas": Nick is accomplice to Maya Callis' dirty work and becomes Damon Callis' second in command.

David Costabile as "Simon Boyd": Detective Boyd is a member of the Detroit Police Department's Internal Affairs Division who is on the hunt for a cop killer.

Check out the AMC website where there's pictures of these 8 characters and more.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived