Future AMC/OLTL eps released all at once as a 20 ep season?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am so confused-- you talk all the time about baby boomers and Agnes and true faithful, 40 year fans and the glory days of the 70s and 80s that those of us who started watching later couldn't possibly understand and then you complain that the show doesn't resemble the 2000s when Agnes was basically pushed out. Do you realize how contradictory you sound?

I just had to leave the quiet car of the train because this last page has me laughing too loud. So much love for this.

• Members

I think OLTL was most definitely affected by the reduction from 4 to 2 with the pacing. But the change to the Monday dump- I think soaplovers may be right that maybe releasing all OLTL on Tuesdays would have worked since people seemed to be just getting used to that. Even when it was T/Th, they were cracking top 5 on Hulu and the pacing now (although I know you're not loving it for Natalie) is overall better than it was late May/early June. But I don't know what to make of it- I don't think there was a huge drop-off of viewers, maybe just more spread out viewing.

I so admire your attempt to respond rationally to the bullying allegations :)

• Members

Since a lot of the contract cast lives in California or outside of NYC or Connecticut and signed 1 year deals I wonder what the 2nd year contracts will be renegotiated for better benefits concerning travel expenses hotel coverage and other guaranteed incentives and secured benefits. Their reps pushing for higher wages and benefits???

Since a lot of the contract cast lives in California or outside of NYC or Connecticut and signed 1 year deals I wonder what the 2nd year contracts will be renegotiated for better benefits concerning travel expenses hotel coverage and other guaranteed incentives and secured benefits. Their reps pushing for higher wages and benefits???

• Members

Granted I don't watch but based on what I've read I feel like one of the things that has kneecapped OLTL is the fact that they had to spend time and energy dealing with the GH crossover stuff. Todd/Blair, the loss of Tea's baby and Nat/John/Liam forced the writers to deal with and resolve a second canon while launching this new experiment. That's asking a lot of the writers, actors and audience.

• Members

No desire to even try it? Its not perfect but most things have really improved the past month or so. Not pushing but you would be a fun addition to the OLTL thread

Season 2? I thought we were being cancelled due to Prospect Park lying to longtime fans, Ginger Smith's disregard for the 2000s, and the lack of Jacob Foster? And David Hayward obviously.

• Members

I think some of the other stories have been good - Danielle and Matthew, Jeffrey and Destiny, the Banner, etc. - but a lot of it's been very slow to build overall. And the cliffhanger and existing story with the Todds plus GH is a huge part of the meandering pace, which has had a lot more character development than story on the show. I believe they'd expected to have Easton for the first arc, but that deal collapsed when things with ABC went sour. (Kristen was also willing to appear for a stint, but the scheduling didn't match up - she, unlike Easton, appears to be keen to visit later.) So Natalie in particular has been floating around with a sort of B or C-story. Meanwhile, the whole Michelle detour with Matthew isn't really working for me. Stories would often pick up then sloooowwww down - and I think that had to do with the original HW team not knowing how to handle the pace or the OLTL/GH stars' complications.

The Todds stuff has been up and down. At first they were everywhere, but TSJ only did ten days worth of shows and skipped out - supposedly he may be back in the fall. RH was on extensively, but now we're getting to a period where most of his screentime is in weird chunks and most of it is in that Palace hotel room. I got a pretty decent Todd and Blair reunion out of it, but the story itself - the tattoo conspiracy - is either motionless or largely going on offscreen, with the occasional tattoo person appearing and disappearing, and then Todd going to and from the hotel room talking about how his plan to fake Victor's death to trick these people is in motion - off-camera. So I'm pretty much welcoming the new HWs who were promoted from within at this point.

I'll be interested to see what the show looks like next month, as well as into the fall. I know the Drunk Angry Clint arc is picking up, and the stuff with Dani and Arturo Bandini is really good. And there is some sort of Evil Tattoo People connection there, so who knows. Plus we have

• Members

You're so sweet but no, I have no desire to try it. OLTL drove me away for good years ago and the one time I did come back (RJ and Hank's returns) they made me regret it. The only characters on the current version I have any interest in are Tea, Bo/Nora and Destiny/Matthew/Jeffrey/Dani. I can't stand Blair, Natalie or David while the others - Rama, Cutter, Nikki, Jack - are meaningless to me.

But the real issue I have is with Todd. I used to be a HUGE Todd/RH fan and honestly, I'm ashamed of that. I hate the importance that character and actor have been given not just on OLTL but in the genre and I don't want to support that. I watched the first episode of OLTL 2.0 and I thought it was pretty decent but the moment Todd showed up and forced his way into Shelter by throwing a fistful of money into the crowd I realized that I'd rather get punched in the throat than watch another scene with that overrated, overexposed !@#$%^&*].

IMO, Todd Manning is a perfect example of much that is wrong with the genre and I hope that PP kicks his trifling ass to the curb.

Archived