Rolling Stone Magazine

Soapsuds

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know why so many people are defaulting to "You're just angry that this cover doesn't live down to your stereotype." I'm not one of those people who thinks we shouldn't see the faces of these maniacs. I simply think that it's tacky, thoughtless and desperate. Like it or not, the cover of Rolling Stone is a different context than the cover of Time or The NYTimes. Being on the cover of Rolling Stone is a symbol of "making it." RS is primarily an entertainment magazine and the staff of that magazine is being disingenuous by pretending otherwise. Yes, they've done some great journalism but they aren't Life managazine. That photo was Tsarnaev's MySpace pic. He chose it because it made him look good. By putting that on the cover RS essentially made Tsarnaev the art director for that issue. The whole city of Boston is still suffering from the PTSD of that bombing and RS just shoved a great big trigger in their face.

Journalism has become so competitive now that people some to have lost all concept of good judgment. Just like that San Francisco TV station that went live with those fake names. Nobody takes a moment to say, "Maybe this is just a bad idea." Then they get all butthurt when the marketplace tells them exactly that.

• Members

Exactly.

The photo is one that he himself as as one of his best, as glamorous. They're selling it on his terms.

The media loves to romanticize these types. And then they shake their heads in sorrow, right on cue, when the next mass murder occurs.

Archived