Univision To Start First Digital Network

DramatistDreamer

• Members

I am here celebrating the fact that:

1) I have electricity

2) I have a perfectly mandated excuse to stay home

and I came across this article in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.c...BpXOOvCp4HaIJMQ

If this is successful ( and I don't see why it wouldn't be), kudos to Univision for being of the times.

Why aren't the likes of CBS, NBC, and ABC and other terrestrial networks doing this? I know why it wouldn't make sense for cable, but couldn't broadcast stations be doing this? Univision is doing this digital network in English as well as Spanish.

I don't always love their programming but I've always respected the fact that networks like Telemundo and Univision have made their TV signals very strong so that in times when you don't have cable, you can get their networks even with the lowest cost antennas (or sometimes none at all). And now these networks seem to be recognizing and embracing the fact that people want access on a smaller screen and making the adjustments, rather than fighting it. I hope it is successful and I hope other broadcast networks follow suit.

Not for nothing, Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, recently started an online network, Ora TV. It's pretty basic now but it is an attempt to keep up with the times and technology and the emerging market of what the new generation of consumers appear to want and more and more seem to demand.

Is there something that Latin American media knows that American/U.S. based English media does not?

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived