Another Agnes Nixon question

allmc2008

• Members

I read somewhere that she got the idea for Erica while working on "the brighter day". When was she writing for that show and why did she not create her then?? Also, if asked, do you think she would have written the last year of GL? I think they should have brought her on GL and AW before they cancelled. She could have really made AW go back to it's roots for the final year and maybe even spike up the ratings and reverse the cancellation like she did 30 years prior.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Brighter Day was cancelled before Ms. Nixon could get the characters (Ada and Rachel) onscreen.

However, here is some of my confusion; Irna Phillips wanted to racially integrate the show by hiring Rex Ingram. He did get on. I guess that the netwok (which by then owned the show) hired Ms. Nixon to replace Ms. Phillips.

I think that Procter and Gamble should have hired Ms. Nixon in the late 1980s. As an incentive, they should have bought Loving from her - with a guarentee that Loving would continue for a certain amount of years. She would have written Another World, plus possibly be a story consultant for Loving and the other three Procter and Gamble soap operas (As the World Turns, Search for Tomorrow, and Guiding Light).

I think that Another World would have returned to its glory.

• Members

I think she created Mona/Erica first, and when Proctor and Gamble passed on her AMC bible, she used them as a prototype for Ada/Rachel. I doubt she could've saved AW in its final years. The was in a deep decline for many years, and nothing really could've reversed it at that point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear Agnes was once quoted, possibly in the 80s or 90s, as saying she would never work for Proctor and Gamble ever again. I could swear I read that somewhere.

• Members

But where would that have left ALL MY CHILDREN? Agnes Nixon would have needed some guarantee from P&G that she could continue working with AMC in some capacity, regardless of who owned it.

I don't recall such a statement; however, I think it's well-documented how she left P&G primarily because she wanted to tell stories with more diverse characters.

Archived