Y&R: Interview with Daniel Goddard (also discusses soaps in general)

• Members

Yeah I really liked the Cane's death scenes and right as I was getting used to the fact that he was dead they had to write him back in. That's why the story was so full of holes and not even DG knew what direction it was being taken in.

I remember the blind item that was out right after his firing saying how he cried when they fired him and how the writers promised that slowly usher him off as a ghost.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah... I don't really buy that, because it doesn't really make sense, LOL But it's a nice BTS story that helps to further the notion that Cane/Lily are a next-gen 'super couple' when they're NOT...

• Members

Maria bell has been trying to get rid of Lane from the beginning of her tenure. Lily was supposed to die during that cancer storyline but Sony intervened as they didn't want another African American killed off or fired. It was obvious they were headed back to pairing Lily up with Daniel and this whole back from the dead for Cane was a rewrite.

You know for a couple you claim MAB loves, they certainly get very little story or airtime particularly when compared to couples like Villy or Nikki and Victor.

• Members

the argument can be made that Lily's cancer SL + Cane's death SL were both meant to validate them as a 'force' to be reckoned with, or some crap. Daniel bounces from broad to broad, so let's not. And are you REALLY comparing Cane/Lily to Billy/Victoria (a genuine popular couple) and Nikki/Victor? Really?!

i just don't buy it. Why would Sony care about Cane,. or all characters? LOL

EDIT: anyway, what corroborates this notion that Cane/Lily are popular and Sony is forcing Y&R's PTB to keep 'em on?

• Members

I'm not sure if Cane and Lily are any less popular than Billy and Victoria. The latter always felt like hype to me, because Miller had tanked with all his other leading ladies and they wanted Billy as a Newman. If they're popular the show certainly doesn't write them in a way which suggests this. They've had the same story their entire relationship.

• Members

Oh please you have no proof Billy and Victoria are any more popular than Cane and Lily. I don't like either couple but the rantings of a few hundred on liners and a couple of bloggers doesn't mean crap

The 2 couples featured on that Perez Hilton promo were Villy and Lane. Not the so called popular Shadam which was sadistic and disgusting or Phick by the way.

Archived