Whitney Houston dead at 48!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think JHud did a great job but her voice is richer than Whitney's, she's more akin to Aretha where her high notes are more like squalls whereas Whitney more effortlessly soared. The girl on Glee's voice is less textured than JHud's and she's better able to achieve that high and pure Whitney effect. Not that one is better than the other, just different. For instance, Whitney was The Voice but her And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going couldn't touch Jennifer Holliday's. Speaking of:

http://piersmorgan.b...et-bobby-brown/

Edited by SFK

• Members

When you think about it, it makes sense. She was a young model/singer in NY with TV appearances out in L.A. at the height of the coke boom, she had to have run into it somewhere whether in a nightclub or on set. I'm sure her mom was around, but she couldn't be around all the time. And just like she picked up smoking from her elders, who knows what else she may have picked up? Or at least been exposed to. We know cousin Dionne liked her reefer. I'm not saying, just wondering...

In his book that never got released, Bobby talked about how surprised he was by how "black" Whitney really was, moreso than himself. Her public image was far from the real person who often caught hell from the black community for being too "white". She was from rough ass Newark, she was no stranger to drugs and violence. That's not to say that it automatically corrupts a person, but to say that Bobby introduced her to the dark underbelly of the world is just false. Not saying that his presence didn't make things worse, but the person who feeds the fire didn't necessarily build it.

Edited by SFK

• Members

I guess it sort of does.

People can only assist in changing you so much from the person you really are. Bobby's Whitney (as opposed to Clive's) was probably much closer to the real Whitney than many of us would like to believe. Including myself for a time.

Take away the drugs, I don't have much of an issue with that person. But it is really two different images. That being the public and personal image Whitney was giving off in the 80s and early 90s and the image she was giving off later with the cameras on or "off."

• Members

Absolutely, SFK... so true. I've known about that family for quite some time... Cissy's roots in the church, and Dionne's sophisticated music and image carried over the Whitney's image... but these were "rough ridin bitches" as my friend calls them. People would be surprised, because of the type of music they sing, people expect them to be these aristocratic, Maya Angelou types, that simply is not the case.

• Members

Whitney takes on Stacy Francis the night before the death. From Radar.

During Whitney Houston's wild night out in Hollywood on Thursday, the troubled singer was downing tequila and threw a tantrum when another woman got attention from Ray J -- and RadarOnline.com has exclusive details.

After taking the stage at Tru Hollywood for a short performance of Yes, Jesus Love Me, Houston exited the stage to find Ray J talking to former X-Factor contestant Stacy Francis, 42, and became irate.

“She ran over to them and began screaming, ‘This is my man! I’m a cougar! B*tch, get away from my man,’” a source told us. Ray J tried to calm her down, telling Houston that Francis was a “longtime family friend” but Houston still pointed and screamed.

“The other artists in the area tried to surround them so that people wouldn’t begin coming into the area where they were and taking photos or video,” the source explained.

Francis tried to calm Houston down, too. “Whitney, I love you baby. It’s not like that. Calm down, you’re causing a scene,” she pleaded. Houston then shoved Francis in her forehead and Francis shoved her back.

“The other singers had to jump in and separate them. People were pleading for Whitney to chill out. It was embarrassing,” the source disclosed.

Francis acknowledged the incident on her Twitter account in a message she later deleted saying, "oh boy. .... She and Ray J are a couple and she thought that Ray was interested in me. So she asked who was I to him.."

"Whitney was drinking tequila the entire night and appeared to be highly intoxicated," an eyewitness told RadarOnline.com.

At some point during the madness, Houston scratched her leg and blood began to stream down. Kelly Price had to stop hosting her own Pre-Grammy bash to come backstage to mediate the situation.

“Kelly told Whitney that it was okay if she left and thanked her for coming. She had someone take Stacy to get her something to drink and help her freshen up her makeup,” the source added.

Francis later joined Price onstage to sing Etta James’ At Last and sung as though nothing ever happened.

Though those in attendance said there was no evidence of drug use by Houston at the party, she was drinking tequila the entire night and appeared to be “highly intoxicated.”

“She drank from the same cup all night, but her assistant and Ray J held the cup and kept people from photographing her with it,” the source closed.

Francis response:

Former "X Factor" hopeful Stacy Francis has called her run in with Whitney Houston on Thursday a "misunderstanding."

"This is a sad time for me. I loved Whitney Houston with all my heart. She was such an amazing musical influence for me," Stacy Tweeted on Sunday night. "I deeply regret the events that led to Thursday's misunderstanding, but I respect and love her more than I can say."

"Whitney maintained a genuineness in this difficult profession and I will always admire and respect the courage that she lived," she Tweeted. "At this painful time, I would like to express my support and most sincere condolences to Whitney's family in learning of her sudden death...I will always remember her to be a deeply humane person and wish her spirit to rest in peace."

• Members

When Dolly sang it the song was simple but I think with Whitney it became a huge power ballad, somewhat overwrought. I thought Jennifer's version was restrained compared to a lot of her belting over the years, but in general it's just not a Whitney song I am fond of.

I feel sorry for Francis, mostly because she's in a no win situation - she was in this altercation but really can't comment in anything but the most glowing terms. I am sure Whitney probably regretted the whole thing as well.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I would like to think so but I'm not so sure she did, nor did she really have the time to reflect on it. That's what makes it so messy and sad. Tequila makes folks crazy, she may have even forgotten about it. The fact that this all involves Ray J just makes me doubly sick.