ALL: Soap Stars - Where are they now?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Just saw “The Boys in the Band” on Broadway. Our soap alums Tuc Watkins and Matt Bomer were fine (as well as great eye candy) and got off some funny lines, but the star was naturally Jim Parsons, who goes much darker and deeper than I anticipated in the very mean-spirited lead role. (I’d seen the movie years ago. Zachary Quinto is basically doing Leonard Frey pantomime as the venomous Harold, but his comic timing is spot-on) Overall, much better than its initial reviews and still very relevant in 2018.

• Members

I heard some were critical of Bomer so I'm glad he did alright.

(how much do they show in that anyway?)

I can't really see Quinto in that type of role, as I don't think he has the depth, but good for him.

Parsons is a very good actor. It's a real credit to him that he doesn't seem to have let Sheldon typecast him.

• Members

Meghann Fahy (Hannah, OLTL) is one of the leads on Freeform’s The Bold Type (its fantastic, watch it!) and she is quite good. Very charismatic. She’s also apparently dating Billy Magnussen (Casey, ATWT).

Sean Ringgold (Shaun, OLTL) is again on this season of Luke Cage with a much more sizeable role an what looks like an even bigger part for next season. This next actor is also on this season of Luke Cage and I can’t believe I even spotted him considering I didn’t watch Guiding Light during any of his tenure but Kevin Mambo (Marcus) is one of the antagonists this season. He’s very good and his Jamaican accent is top notch. It’s funny that GL had two very successful black actors in the mid-90s in the form of Marcus and David Grant and squandered both. We see this repeated with the treatment of Mishael Morgan (and every other black actor on daytime) 20 years later.

• Members

His in particular or all of them? I’m not Jamaican but I’m around the accent a lot and I thought his and Bushmaster’s were good. Anansi’s too. His wife not so much.

Edited by Darn

• Members

He really is, Jim Parsons. He goes for the nastiness, but you can really see the toxicity and self-hate peeking out behind it. And he’s funny as hell.

You see Bomer in tighty-whiteys from basically the jump. Impressive body, of course, as that’s what he’s paid for. He’s just... ok, but I feel like that part is a bit underwritten anyway. To his credit, he lands a couple of really funny lines. I will say that, even with Matt Bomer parading around in his undies in the first scene, you can’t take your eyes off Jim Parsons. He’s just magnetic, and he can make wrapping gifts compelling. 

The guy I saw the play with REALLY hated Quinto. I thought he was funny, and the crowd absolutely erupted at almost all of his quips. But if you saw Leonard Frey’s performance in the original, Quinto’s version is a disappointing facsimile.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Sean Ringgold is in everything these days.

I'm surprised Boys has apparently gotten mixed reviews. I'd assume it's media's natural knee-jerk ambivalence to the play being un-PC, to be honest, as they've had for years, but I have no idea.

I am so behind on the Marvel shows.