The 'Tom Pelprey is so DAMN OVERRATED' Thread

Dan

• Members

He's overall too hammy. The screaming, chest beating and crying doesn't ring true for me. When he plays his big emotions I don't feel that he is sincere. He has little to no range and doesn't give Jonathan pathos whatsoever.

Pelphrey doesn't act well in group scenes which is essential for an ensemble. He is a scene stealer and not in a good way.

Another thing I dislike is that Jonathan was supposed to have grown up in San Cristobel but has a very obvious New Jersey accent. Actors should be able to change their accent to suit their characters or at least make an attempt.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that Pelphrey has alot of energy and I think that perhaps is his appeal. But to those who prefer more subtle performances, it just seems like he draws too much attention to himself.

• Members

I agree with both of you. But I also feel that the character is too one-note. Jonathan hasn't evolved much and it annoys the heck out of me that he gets upset and starts throwing violent tantrums all of the time. And I think it's partly an actor's responsibility to bring some evolution to his character. I would like to see Pelphrey show a different side of Jonathan. People like to compare him to Kim Zimmer, but the difference is Zimmer can go from HERE to THERE.

Pelphrey's range is more like HERE to THERE.

Archived